LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up my 06 on Friday and I noticed there are some water streaks that go across the entire windshield. It's not very noticeable when the sun is hitting it but when the car is in the shade its quite noticeable. I've tried using steel wool and a bunch of other cleaners to to get off but nothing has worked. Might I need a new windshield now, and will GM cover it?

Thanks!

·
1,086 Posts
Next time, try a clay bar first. It will get water marks off glass easily and quickly.

·
IRESQWOLFDOGS
2,052 Posts
wd40, rubbing alcohol......steelwool!!! NOOOOO, or some of the stuff the guys posted above.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
wolfdogs said:
wd40, rubbing alcohol......steelwool!!! NOOOOO, or some of the stuff the guys posted above.
Something wrong with the glass stripper Ken?
I have used it for years no problem.

·
05 Torrid Red Pontiac GT0 6MT
1,096 Posts
Here is an old time solution. Bon Ami Polishing Cleanser. Works great. Has a bit of grit but won't scratch the glass.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Zaino glass cleaner - I used it on my shower doors and it was the last thing I tried after just about every glass cleaner known to man - it just plain works

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys I tried using my claybar, and that didn't help. Then for the heck of it I tried vinegar and water, but that didn't make any difference either.I know it sounds weird but I think the windshield itself has a defect in it. I detail cars for a living and I've never seen anything like it. Not really sure what to do from here.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Im telling ya use the glass stripper!!! You will love it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Check to see what kind of windshield it is - per the other thread, you may have the el cheapo version.

The right kind for the GTO is Pilkington - if it isn't, that could be a defect in the windshield.

Ask the dealer to replace it with the right one

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked to see what it said on the windshield, it just says "Laminated" in the lower corner of the passenger side, not Pilkington. I hope the dealer will replace it, it's downright dangerous to drive at night.

·
High Octane User
128 Posts
I had the same issue with my glass...even worse. Water spots on the outside and a nasty film on ths inside. NOTHING worked until I tried a can of GoofOff. Worked like a charm, but had to use some good glass cleaner as a follow up. Most any hardware store has the stuff. 'Prolly much like the stripper recomended in the thread.
Only stripper I know of that does windows.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Windshield H2O marks

I have Pilkingtons all around and always cleaned them when it's cool and right after wipe them dry with microfiber, same as the inside with electric fan blowing to disperse your body heat that builds up inside the car causing a film as you wipe it.

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
Quik06GTO said:
Hey guys, I just picked up my 06 on Friday and I noticed there are some water streaks that go across the entire windshield. It's not very noticeable when the sun is hitting it but when the car is in the shade its quite noticeable. I've tried using steel wool and a bunch of other cleaners to to get off but nothing has worked. Might I need a new windshield now, and will GM cover it?

Thanks!
Well if you used steel wool on it you probably need a new windsheild for sure. If it is calcified water there are liquids you can buy at any professional detail shop to just wipe it off. Just bought some this weekend. Works great on home windows that get hit by sprinklers too. Stuff I got was Bio-Clean water spot remover... made in Sacramento CA

I can attest to the steel wool scratching the he** out of you windshield because I did it to mine. Let all kinds of scratches that I didn't see until I got out in the sun the next day..... not sure what I was thinking.

·
1 of 40,757
6,727 Posts
I wouldnt suggest anyone use steel wool but you have to use the finest steel wool - 0000. I did all the windows with steel wool because NOTHING else would remove the terrible waterspots, not even DP High Performance Glass Restorer. The key to the steel wool is using the finest and lubricating it with something like invisible glass. Dry it did nothing. Other than that.. you have to make sure no pieces of steel wool are left loose anywhere.

I want to try that glass stripper stuff.. I can not get a layer of oily stuff off both sides of my windows and its driving me bananas. :drink:

·
Still a communist state
12,541 Posts
my goats windshield and side windows are all covered in water spots...windex doesnt get them out worth a damn...guess its time to try some zaino glass cleaner :stickpoke

1 - 20 of 22 Posts