LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wife hated it
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tire guys out there? I want to mount my set of winter tires off a previous car on the GTO rims next month. The size is 225/45/17, so they
are little thinner. Any problems?

Thanks

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
993rs said:
Any tire guys out there? I want to mount my set of winter tires off a previous car on the GTO rims next month. The size is 225/45/17, so they

Thanks
Just odo discrepancy (your speedo will say you are going faster than you really are), and maybe a little traction control problem, nothing big at all. It's preferred to run thinner tires in the winter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought that the finrst number is the width of the tire, so keeping the middle number, the aspect ratio, the same should keep your spedo fairly accurate.
You can always use a tire calculator to help you figure it out as well.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Leggo said:
I thought that the finrst number is the width of the tire, so keeping the middle number, the aspect ratio, the same should keep your spedo fairly accurate.
You can always use a tire calculator to help you figure it out as well.
The first number is the width in mm and the second number is a *percentage* of the first number, which means the sidewall on the 245/45 is 45% of 245 (110mm) where as the sidewall on the 225/45 is 45% of 225 (101mm). Multiply the difference of 10mm by 2 (since it's round) and you get a discrepancy of about 20mm in total height or 4/5th of an inch. That's faily significant, though nothing to worry too much about. Basically, stock tires are about 25.7" tall, and 225/45s are about 25" tall...

·
Registered
138 Posts
cool, thanks for clearing that up for me, it will save me some issues in the future

·
TraumaDog
1,677 Posts
993rs said:

Thanks
Hmm... I remember reading somewhere about Bondurant doing a GTO drifting class using 225/50/17's...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts