LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - new to the site today (and just picked up a Torrid Red/Black M6 2 weeks ago).

With the upcoming Nebraska winter looming on the horizon, I've been wondering about tires (the Goat is my daily driver).

Tire Rack lists one "recommended" package with new aftermarket 17" wheels and Blizzaks - for about $1300+ delivered.

Considering the Dunlop Graspic DS-2's ($119 ea) in 235/45QR-17 or even 225's (only $112 ea). Anyone have experience with this tire?

What I'd really like for the winter is a set of aftermarket 16's with winter tires (trying to save money here folks) so I don't have to swap tires on the factory wheels twice a year but Tire Rack doesn't mention that option - anyone know of an aftermarket 16" wheel with the proper bolt pattern?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Put the blizz's on the stock rim. THat is what I do on my Maxima. Great tire. Makes the car feel like an SUV come winter time. Just make sure you do all 4 corners. My friend has them on his BMW (which is rear wheel drive like the goat), and it makes a whirl of a difference come winter time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use to have a set of the Graspic DS-2 that I used on a BMW 318ti. The tire was excellent in the snow, but gave up a lot of grip and cornering ability in the dry. I could really feel the tread fold under on cornering. I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2 in 235/45R17 that I used for a year on my previous Lancer Evo. I just got a set of stock rims from ebay and had these mounted. These were great in the snow and gave up very little dry performance.

Frank

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Based on what I have been hearing, I was going to get a set of 4 Blizzaks. However after some further research I discovered they have terrible tread wear if you are not actually driving on snow.

I am now going to get 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Those are supposed to be almost as good as the Blizzaks on snow/ice and at least as good if not better than Blizzaks in every other category and provide good tread wear.

·
jwalther
33 Posts
I run Dunlop Wintersport M2s on my BMW 540, and they work great.

Jeff

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well,

I have a ton of LA-8s waiting to go for our snow season here in DC.

LA-8 is the best thing for the snow ever created. You will never have any traction control problems.

LA-8, Leave, Annual - 8 Hours.

When I first got the Goat, my boss commented to me: "Guess we wont be seing you on snow days now will we?"

Told him "Have snow, wont go!"

In all seriousness, Id go with blizzaks. They are a great tire. I just wont be doing it because of the other drivers here in my area. They are retards on good days, sociopaths on snow days.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks work AMAZING in the winter. I have the WS-50's for my Grand Am in the size of 215/60/15 with 15" steelies all for $560 with full maintenance, insurance and tire certificates (lots of sidewall, lots of flex, narrow tire: not made for high performance but ultimate grip! World Rally Championship racers use super narrow snow tires in the rallies so its a good method I kinda used). Didn't matter how fast I hit the gas the car just pulled and never had a traction problem. I had an absolute blast and I think if I do get the goat and don't have my winter beater anymore, that i'll be just purchasing the same setup (or just get new wheels, cause I know the bolt pattern is different)

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts