LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dude, seriously the "OP" has 68 GTOs, most of us only have one. I think his "opinion" carries a little more weight than yours. How many do you have?
First of all, how did you reach the conclusion OP owns 68 Goats? Because his handle has 68 goats in it? Do you really believe that's what it means? What if his handle said "1968goats"? Would you think he owns almost 2000 GTOs?

Second, it doesn't matter if he owns 68 Goats, airplanes, parking spaces, balls of yarn, cucumbers, medical degrees, or Liberace wigs. That does not make him an expert in audio-video equipment. It also doesn't mean he knows what music and video should look and sound like. The majority of people really don't have an appreciation of this. I, on the other hand, do, due to more than 23 years of training, experience, and personal use.

Finally, stickies are supposed to be about facts, not opinions. Show me other stickies where someone expresses what they think about something, rather than a how-to, long term interests, or something similar.

Argue all you want, but this is an improper sticky.

·
Saved by Grace
1,685 Posts
Funny thread.
I will add that MC is NOT a "scam". SOME MC products are way overpriced, and, really, no different than any other "quality" cable (at much lower prices - HDMI for one). However, MC RCA's are significantly better than elcheapo ones. AUDIBLY better! It's about noise rejection and signal transfer. ESPECIALLY in a car.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The original post was about SPEAKER wire, not signal/RCA wires that drive a signal to the amplifier. Since the RCA wires carry a low-power signal, and any interference is amplified, of course the design and shielding of these wires matters a lot.

But speakers receive higher voltage with a few amps of current, so at least from an electrical power standpoint you don't need any kind of fancy/bigger wire. I can't say anything about sound quality, but you won't lose power or overheat wiring if using "regular" speaker wires.

As for HDMI, here's an interesting test, the truth is perhaps somewhere in the middle:
http://gizmodo.com/268788/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-verdict-cheap-cables-keep-upusually
http://gizmodo.com/282725/the-truth-about-monster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work in the high end video field. One site i really like is monoprice. they have all cables and are very cheap. i ordered a box full of stuff and it was only $50.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Twice, to no avail.

Have you reported this "improper sticky" to the authorities?
Since the admin who stuck it is also the author-

From sxty8goats, post #27-I'm the admin that started and stuck the thread. There is a very good reason it is here but I'm not going to state it publicly. You are welcome to dispute/dispel any of the opinions here if you can back them up with facts. I'm all about education.

I doubt this abuse of authority is going anywhere.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Since the admin who stuck it is also the author-

From sxty8goats, post #27-I'm the admin that started and stuck the thread. There is a very good reason it is here but I'm not going to state it publicly. You are welcome to dispute/dispel any of the opinions here if you can back them up with facts. I'm all about education.

No longer the Admin but I still stand by this thread. Just re-read it, info is solid here. Good input from many people which will make many others think before they buy.

·
Premium Member
82,627 Posts
Abuse would be someone deleting your posts and acting like you never had an opinion, you've freely posted your opinions, and they are still there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Abuse would be someone deleting your posts and acting like you never had an opinion, you've freely posted your opinions, and they are still there.
As far as I'm concerned, abuse is posting one's own extremely biased opinion, which is not fact, as a sticky. He seems to be on a crusade, and used his access as an admin to promote his agenda here. I haven't read every sticky, but every sticky I have read is either a listing of hard data or facts, or some long term reference for other posters. The OP is neither. It is the poster's opinion and nothing more. A sticky isn't meant to be a conversation starter, so saying the "info is solid" doesn't excuse the fact that the thread should never have been started as a sticky. There are thousands of posts that are one's opinions, and they include the subsequent discussion pertaining to them. Why is this one special?

What if I had posted the exact same thing, would my post be allowed to be a sticky? No, it wouldn't.

WHY IS THIS A STICKY?

It's a rhetorical question. There's no good reason for this to be a sticky

·
Premium Member
82,627 Posts
Some people cannot look past specs and numbers to find their own truths. If there was no difference in cables, then the premium cable and wire industry wouldn't be nearly as large as it is. All those buyers have a choice, and many of them made that choice based entirely on their own viewing and listening tests.

You've made no attempt at providing any data showing how these more expensive cables are superior to low end cables, yet claim 68 is part of some evil master plan to erode your customer base. You've been quoted as saying look past the specs and numbers at your own truths. I'd call that an opinion

In other words, oh hai, your opinion is invalid, but I can't prove why, accept my opinion as fact.

PS, in your 23 years of installing stereo equipment, did you ever do any analytical research on the placebo effect?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You've made no attempt at providing any data showing how these more expensive cables are superior to low end cables, yet claim 68 is part of some evil master plan to erode your customer base. You've been quoted as saying look past the specs and numbers at your own truths. I'd call that an opinion

In other words, oh hai, your opinion is invalid, but I can't prove why, accept my opinion as fact.

PS, in your 23 years of installing stereo equipment, did you ever do any analytical research on the placebo effect?
My statements all stand on their own. If you choose to twist my words and take them out of context, that's your call. Opinions can't be proven, but my experience is all I need to support my statements. People don't live in test labs, they don't listen with microphones, and the placebo effect isn't an issue here, because people made choices of their own free will. They chose one over another 3 out of 4 times. Maybe you need a refresher course on what that means.

Opinions pro and con have every place in this thread, and I never said differently. BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE A STICKY!!!!!!

As an admin that's what you should be looking at, not taking sides in the discussion. But you chose to ignore that, and instead question my lack of tables and graphs to support my assertion that tables and graphs don't tell the whole story. How laughably ironic.

This can go on forever, but I'm done with it. I've made the points I wanted to, and I don't care if this remains a sticky or if everyone buys the cheapest cables they can. I know what I know, and you will not convince me otherwise.

By that I mean that this shouldn't be a sticky, and there are differences in cables.

·
Premium Member
82,627 Posts
Please sticky.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My statements all stand on their own.
As can mine. :) Based on information I got from one of the most respected audio engineers in the world. (alas, dead). You have said again and again that your opinion was based on subjective testing, not measurable fact.

So LOL. It is worth keeping it a sticky just to get that laugh. But it is not my choice any more so oh well either way.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,483 Posts
WOW some people got some pee in their cherrios.

Meanwhile I don't think I actually fully advocated only useing lamp cord from HOME deport or southland copper.

I pointed out where physics helps you and smurf you. Yes, for Amplified signal to the driver. Distance and amperage are king, everything else is secondary. Now there is something to the purity of the copper and there is something to the connector. I use gold connectors but would perfer Rhodium for various reasons. Mainly due to corrosion and dulling issues. Yes it matter copper oxides don't transmit current as well as clean copper and clean GOLD.

As far as the other stuff, its all a law of diminishing returns. EVERYTHING. Including those 40K per set B&W nautalis speakers.

And there was never and has not been any abuse of power here. NONE. But please try again.

·
2005 m6
102 Posts
The distortion from almost any speaker you hook up to the wire, as long as the wire meets spec, is going to be much greater than one introduced by the wire.

As far as hdmi, usb, or whatever other cable you want to run, get a solid single length shielded cable and you'll be good at least out to hdmi/usb or whatever spec you want.

The placebo effect is strong in audio, just like the buttdyno is really strong in cars.

There is a reason we don't judge which headers are better because they feel faster. We look at 1/4 mile and dyno runs.

That being said, crappy unshielded cable can do things.

No matter what cable you use, even $500 a foot ultra elite braided by hand in cleanrooms by shaved persons, utilizing mono crystal copper nitrogen enriched warp core ready, and run it in a stupid manner you can introduce problems.

Better (meaning shielded with ferrite, no unobtainum cables) can help prevent some of this interference.

Digital signals are sensitive to interference, look at your sat tv when its snowing or storming out. However over a short run with a spec cable your not going to have problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I don't buy Monster Cables simply because they are too expensive. Someone who works in the Audio/Video industry might be able to see or hear a difference but I don't think I would. Heck I have a BOSE stereo in my car and I think it sounds awesome. I'm sure if I had the money and time to spend $20k-$30k on my car stereo then I'd probably hear a difference. A lot of the custon car stereos I've heard just have too much bass. Do you really need 6 14 inch subs and 6 video screens? Lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Bose car audio sounds like total shit. And yes, most of the 'systems' you see have too much bass. Because everyone knows thats whats best, yo.

Dont get home and car audio cabling twisted. A car is a far worse environment, and premium cables do pay off here.

·
paid anthill kicker
99 Posts
When ya get right down to it, speaker wire - or any wire can be modled as a network of resistors, inductors and capacitors. The math can be fairly complicated (trust me) if you want to get way down in the details you need to be concerned witht the length of the cable also, not just "too long", standing wave ratios and all that good stuff.

·
Saved by Grace
1,685 Posts
bose car audio sounds like total shit. And yes, most of the 'systems' you see have too much bass. Because everyone knows thats whats best, yo.

Dont get home and car audio cabling twisted. A car is a far worse environment, and premium cables do pay off here.
qfe

41 - 60 of 66 Posts