LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partly an "FYI" post, partly to inquire whether anyone has found additional alternatives ..

I like wood dashboards on some [but not all] cars. These kits can either enhance an interior very nicely or just look tacky; sometimes it's a very fine line.

Anyhow, for the 2004+ GTO, so far I've managed to find four different kits on the web. They are:

http://www.exoticwooddash.com

which sells a dash & doors kit for about $350, and a dash-only kit for about $227.

And:

http://www.superiordash.com

which sells a dash-only kit for about $339.

And:

http://www.woodtrim.com

which sells a dash-only kit for about $235 (10% extra for certain woods).

You can view schematics/pictures of all of these kits on their websites.

Exotic Wood Dash's full kit does almost the entire dashboard area, and the optional kit does the tops of the door panels as well. Drawbacks that I notice (other than that it seems a bit excessive) are:
(1) Wood surround of gauge cluster stops halfway up.
(2) Wood on center console stops slightly above A/C vents, looking imcomplete.

Superior Dash's kit does the center console, gauge cluster, and side A/C vents. Drawbacks:
(1) Covers the Blaupunkt label on the radio.
(2) Stops immediately above A/C vents on the console.
(3) includes around the power-window controls, but leaves the coin-storage right behind it bare.

Woodtrim's kit is slightly more elaborate than Superior Dash's. Its only drawback is that once again it stops immediately above the console A/C vents.

Since none of these kits wants to touch the topmost section of the center console, I suspect that it's because that area is slightly convex atop the dashboard, and a "flat piece" wouldn't fit it precisely.

That's all I've found so far. Anyone found others?

[From my websearches, I've noticed that many wood-dashboard websites are simply links to Exotic Wood Dash's kits.]

My parting thought is that, if I installed one of these kits, I'd be tempted to omit the pieces covering the "brushed aluminum" trim in the cabin, as I think it is very nicely done and shouldn't be covered up. Covering up black plastic with Carpathian Burlwood, however, wouldn't bother me.

Michael Aquino

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
AmesGTO said:
I'd put a wood dash in my SS, but not in the GTO. For me the GTO's personality doesn't go with wood trim.
I agree with this.

While I wouldn't do it... the carbon fiber kit is more fitting to the personality as Ames puts it :D

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Red Gauges and woodgrain - Yuk!!
Holden put imitation wood my Berlina - it does not suit at all - I am going to get rid of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colored Gauges

Good point about woodgrain clashing with the GTO's colored gauges; that hadn't occurred to me, but of course you're right. Some of these kits can be made in red-colored wood, but I suspect that would just go past cheesy to ghastly.

I suppose that the carbon fiber-applique option got started after Ferrari made a show of doing the interior of its F40 in real CF. But I have never been able to see the point of the imitation stuff.

Michael Aquino

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Keep it stock... the GTO is a class act straight out of the box. :D

BTW... welcome to the site!

·
Registered
523 Posts
GTOME said:
IMO the stickon kits look like dung.
A direct replacement carbon fiber kit would look good.
I'll keep mine stock.
To each his or her own, but it reminds me of the idiot Olympic athlete. He was so proud of his gold medal, he went out and had it bronzed.

:rolleyes: :slap: :rolleyes:

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
People just like to change things, doesn't matter if it's for better or worse. Some folks just like to put their own personal touch. It's not for me but if it's somebody else's car well, hey, I don't have to look at it. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Custom wood

When you go beyond prefab kits to custom automobile woodwork, yes, you can get anything done. Unfortunately it also gets pretty expensive! In addition to the outfit in Australia just mentioned, here in the USA is Rau Autowood at:

http://www.rau-autowood.com

This fellow mostly does Aston Martins, Bentleys, Rollers, etc., so you get an idea of the league and the price-bracket! It is fun to look around the website, in case you're planning to trade your GTO in on a Rolls and find its level of factory wood simply "inadequate". :rolleyes:

Michael Aquino

·
Registered
163 Posts
if anyone does run across a kit that acutally is brushed aluminium for around the center part of the dash and under the guages, let me know. I'd love that gray plastic to match the brushed look of the steering wheel/shifter/brake lever.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks.... not what I'm looking for though. I want real metal, or at least a molded plastic that looks like metal. IMO those painted metal surfaces kinda look hokey.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts