LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
401 Posts
jasonblair said:
I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise with my 65 GTO 2 years ago.. A lot of fun, let me tell you.

Michigan had a statewide blackout. None of the gas pumps worked. My hotel had no lights, no TV, no A/C. Most of the restaurants were closed so there was nothing to eat.. and I couldn't go on the cruise OR leave Michigan because I couldn't buy any gas!

Don't think I'm doing that again.
Uhhh, a midwestern catastrophe that just managed to happen the weekend of the cruise is hardly a good reason not to come back.
 

·
Former Owner but Still Here
Joined
·
451 Posts
Made my hotel arrangements yesterday at the Embassy Suites in Troy. Don't know if I'll bring the GTO or ride up in my buddy's Stang, but I'll be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
It's awesome man!!! If you love muscle cars, classics and hot rods it is THE place to be, no doubt about it!!!
 

·
^ Now 2005 mbm
Joined
·
217 Posts
I went to the cruise 3 years ago, it was amazing. Got the paper from the next day, its like the biggest gathering of cars in the US/world. Something crazy like 40,000 cars. Some gto club holds an all GTO show on sunday, or they at least used too. When i went there was a few hundred classic GTO's. It was also a swap meet with lots of vendors. Any one else know if that is still going on??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
blue_gto_70 said:
I went to the cruise 3 years ago, it was amazing. Got the paper from the next day, its like the biggest gathering of cars in the US/world. Something crazy like 40,000 cars. Some gto club holds an all GTO show on sunday, or they at least used too. When i went there was a few hundred classic GTO's. It was also a swap meet with lots of vendors. Any one else know if that is still going on??
Yup. August 21st at Freedom Hill this year. Nothing but GTO's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
jasonblair said:
I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise with my 65 GTO 2 years ago.. A lot of fun, let me tell you.

Michigan had a statewide blackout. None of the gas pumps worked. My hotel had no lights, no TV, no A/C. Most of the restaurants were closed so there was nothing to eat.. and I couldn't go on the cruise OR leave Michigan because I couldn't buy any gas!

Don't think I'm doing that again.

Jason:

That was the great blackout of 2003 that affected the whole northern east coast including Canada. DTE, our good for nothing utility, still gets 25% of their power from Canada. That happens once every 40 years. You got 38 more to go, so come on out. It is THE biggest collection of muscle cars in the whole US. Where I live in Milford was the western edge of the blackout. If you went 8 miles west they had power.

94TA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
It seem like the Deam Cruise starts earlier each year. I start going in July and its already quite buzy, but you have some room to fool around. I'm usually in my Austin-Healey sleeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Jmar said:
It seem like the Deam Cruise starts earlier each year. I start going in July and its already quite buzy, but you have some room to fool around. I'm usually in my Austin-Healey sleeper.
The "oficial" Woodward Dream Cruise always starts on the 3rd Saturday in August. HOWEVER.........................................the partying starts a lot earlier than that! :drink: :burnout:
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
I'm planning on going to woodward on the 20th. If i'm on strike at work maybe sooner or not at all :( Expecting a new contract Aug. 1st, the two parties have just started negotiaion, no deal yet.
 

·
Refuse to lose.
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
04redgto said:
where's woodward??
Are you serious? Woodward's only the oldest stretch of concrete-paved road in the world and where folks like Henry Ford tested their new "horseless carriages" during development in the early part of the last century. You've heard of Henry Ford, right?

Since then, Woodward became a legend in the auto world with everyone from local hot-rodding teens in the '40s to GM Skunk Works engineers in the '60s to modern street racers with some of the quickest cars in the country seeing what their cars can do.

The Woodward Dream Cruise is a celebration of that history and is the largest car cruise on the planet with more than a million people attending the fun.

Google "Woodward Avenue history" and get informed like any real car guy should be. Woodward plays just as big a role in American hot rodding history as Bonneville, the dry lakes of So-Cal, the Peterson Museum, flathead Fords and small block Chevys.

Oh, and to answer your question, Woodward starts in downtown Detroit and runs northwesterly about 20 miles or so ending up in Pontiac, MI. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
-db- said:
..............................................The Woodward Dream Cruise is a celebration of that history and is the largest car cruise on the planet with more than a million people attending the fun.

Google "Woodward Avenue history" and get informed like any real car guy should be. Woodward plays just as big a role in American hot rodding history as Bonneville, the dry lakes of So-Cal, the Peterson Museum, flathead Fords and small block Chevys.

Oh, and to answer your question, Woodward starts in downtown Detroit and runs northwesterly about 20 miles or so ending up in Pontiac, MI. :)
Hell, it is the largest car cruise in the UNIVERSE !!!

If you enjoy muscle cars, hot rods and classics, it is THE event of the summer! And it is one hell of a party!!! The partying actually starts a week before.

I would have to be dead in order to miss it!
 

·
Great Lakes Moderator
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
GMH GTO said:
I'm planning on going to woodward on the 20th. If i'm on strike at work maybe sooner or not at all :( Expecting a new contract Aug. 1st, the two parties have just started negotiaion, no deal yet.
Really?!?! Hope you can make it, that would be kickass!
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
BowdawG said:
Really?!?! Hope you can make it, that would be kickass!
If we go on strike Aug 1st. it may last for a week month maybe three months, but if I know i'm gonna be back working come september I'll probley go to woodward for a week :cool:
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
Isn't CMNT's open house on the 20th.. He is going to be pissed if I ride out with you. Need a passenger? :p
 

·
VIOLET FOREVER
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
I would love to go but its my wedding anniversary on the 19th and plans have been made. What kind of plans I have no idea. :wall:
And yes its Lane and Susies party. Wish I could be there too. :drink:
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Isn't CMNT's open house on the 20th.. He is going to be pissed if I ride out with you. Need a passenger? :p
hope Lane doens't mind, you gave them fair warning their was a GTO event on that date. Passenger? Just be ready to do some of the driving :driving:
 
21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Top