LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my LSA setup on my car for probably close to 2 years now with really no complaints with it. Its by far the fastest car I've ever owned and other than the ungodly drone I get from the 3" exhaust at 1300 rpm its a nice driving car. I have a friend who's looking to offload some GTO parts though and offered me a pretty good deal on a twin turbo kit with 62/66 Precision turbos and pretty much everything needed to install it. With the prices LSA kits are going for these days I could swap to this kit and have a good bit of money left over. My question is if its actually worth swapping out the system I have now for this kit? I don't do much racing with the car other than the occasional pull on the highway being that the bottom end, trans, and diff are all still stock but long term a bit of extra power would be nice. Any thoughts?

·
LS9 FTW
259 Posts
How much power do you make now and what boost? Supporting mods?

Honestly, you will be dumping reliability of your current LSA set up by going to a turbo kit, while limited by stock components. I say stick with the current set up.
Not to mention the engine bay heat and possibly oil pump return issues.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made around 600 on 93 with a mustang dyno with my current setup. I do like the potential that a turbo kit brings but the reliability is a genuine concern. Plus asides from bragging rights I don't know that I'll be able to use a whole lot more additional power now without doing more driveline work. A T56 Magnum-F and built diff are in the car's future though for sure, just not right now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Id stick with what you have also

·
LS9 FTW
259 Posts
If you are looking for more power on your current setup (short of changing out the entire accessory drive to 8 rib to get easier upper pulleys) you could: port the blower and snout, add meth injection, do an upgraded camshaft (with supporting mods), do a different lower pulley, run a smaller custom upper (I think someone makes a 2.35 upper now for the LSA GTO drive?).

Beyond that, I see a loss in reliability. For reference, the recommended limit on a stock LS3 engine is 700whp from what I have researched.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keeping the LSA seems to be the consensus so that's probably what I'll do. I have an OTR intake for the LSA sitting around and if I can ever find a cowl hood I can always do with the ZL1 lid as well for a bit more power. Already have a TSP stage 2 blower cam in the car as well but otherwise you guys have a lot of good suggestions. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You will miss your instant torque. I have a 427 with a f1a94 and I miss the power down low. Now don’t get me wrong I have way more power about a 1/2 second later with a 3600 stall it comes on and pulls like a F&$king freight train. But you are opening a can of worms once you bump power double of what you have now.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ok. heres my .02
here the Cons first
1) I dont care for twin turbos in a street driven car. Double the possible problems. Double oil lines, returns, connections.
2) the heat under the hood. While twin turbos are further back, its still going to have more heat
3) you wont have instant tq. BUT, thats a good thing, drivetrain will live longer and you'll be able to put it down easier. (pro/con)
4) turbo is more complicated

Heres the Pros
1) your drone will be gone
2) boost does not take long at all to come in. When I smash mine, its a very quick rush of boost. Its quick enough to where its not laggy at all, but not so abrupt that parts get hammered. but think about this, you have drivetrain slack. the cv axles, rear end, trans, driveshaft....so with a NA or PD supercharged engine as soon as you hit the gas, it just up hard, takes that slack out the drivetrain instantly and hammers the parts with slack. Basically hitting them like a hammer would. Cool for your seat of the pants feeling, but hard on parts. With a properly set up turbo, it would take up the slack, then hit. Thats how mine is
3) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that I can press a button and change my boost levels. I can go from 5psi to 20psi and control the boost in each gear. Thats snazzy.
4) it will make you exhaust quieter, pro in my opinion because as I get older, I prefer comfort over noise.
5) more power potential with more efficiency
6) no belts to slip. Yes, you can have boost or exhaust leaks, but the fix for that is usually just tighten the bolts up that you forgot to tighten.

So honestly since you have the blower, unless you are bored and want something different, I'd just stick with that and do the mods listed above....but you are going to break stuff...so plan for that.

and btw, i never feel im lacking power down low, even at low rpm, it comes into boost just as fast as i need it to. Passing someone doesnt require any effort, it makes massive tq down low.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts