LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In talking with one of my car crazy buddies he recommended installing braided brake lines to replace the stock ones. He replaced them in his Dodge Daytona and says they made a improvement in the feel. I'm happy with the stock breakes for now but they feel a little soft (spongy maybe). I don't think any air is in the line.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What air braided lines? I find the mild mushiness mildly annoying and if the fix is simple I would probably do it. When I drive my wife's Impala I really notice the difference.
:drink: :drink:

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tails said:
What air braided lines? I find the mild mushiness mildly annoying and if the fix is simple I would probably do it. When I drive my wife's Impala I really notice the difference.

Basically they are rubber hoses with steel braiding over them. Supposedly restricts the flexing and expansion found in the stock rubber hoses. When you press the brake pedal the system pressurizes and rubber expands a bit. The majority of the brake lines on the car are solid steel but where the brake calipers connect to the lines (about 18" or so) they are connected by rubber hoses.
Examples:
http://www.rmrproducts.com/products/gto/brakes.htm

http://www.paragonperformance.com/Dotbrk.html

http://www.inlinetube.com/sshoses.htm

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
speed_demon_freak said:
Does anyone actually make hose for our cars yet?

Haven't seen um, just wondering.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Thanks guys. I wasn't aware that there are rubber hoses in the system. It does beg another question however. If you restrict the flexing of the rubber hoses will that overstress something else?

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Tails said:
Thanks guys. I wasn't aware that there are rubber hoses in the system. It does beg another question however. If you restrict the flexing of the rubber hoses will that overstress something else?
No, not at all. This is simple hydraulics. It would work best if solid piped all the way to the caliper. But the wheel must move up and down or side to side and up and down for the front. If I contain the pressure all the way to the caliper, all motion is transfered to the piston. But the tradeoff to get a tube that will move as described must be flexible in all directions and unfortunetly that includes outwards as well. So some of your pedal travel expands the hose. So why don't the manufactures put on steel braided hose? Cost. Period. This is a great upgrade that as soon as they are avail will be on my car (I, of course, will keep the stock hose for the restoration 20 years from now). I have been looking but haven't seen any yet.

PS I am a 22 year Navy Submarine vet as an auxiliaryman. One of our biggest systems is hydraulics and the flex hoses in that system.

Jerry

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Braided lines

radkon said:
Haven't seen um, just wondering.
Yes. To answer another question they will also take some sponge out of the pedal. Make SURE you get DOT approved lines. It would not be a fun thing to lose one while braking.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Thanks guys. I have learned my one thing for the day. I will go have a drink...

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys please keep an eye out for DOT approved braided lines and post here if you find them. Thanks.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
radkon said:
Ok guys please keep an eye out for DOT approved braided lines and post here if you find them. Thanks.
Rhys Millen Racing

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Lines

speed_demon_freak said:
They are not for sale yet.

I know Edelbrock is working on them.
Aeroquip perhaps? I'll check a Mass marketer later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts