LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Wow actually just logged back in here after many many years and GTO not running for 2 years. (‘15 zl1 and now jeep srt with all the goods had taken my attn.) GTO is running again and figured I’d hope on here and seen this. Still have some kinks but this car is still the shit even with having new with similar power.

Reactions: Jrzy Goat

·
Registered
625 Posts
Got mine running and took a ride down to Bellview winery May 2d. Passed another GTO on the way back on Tuckahoe Rd I think. We did the wave. First GTO I have seen in quite some time.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Rarely see them around myself....

Reactions: Jrzy Goat

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Wow actually just logged back in here after many many years and GTO not running for 2 years. (‘15 zl1 and now jeep srt with all the goods had taken my attn.) GTO is running again and figured I’d hope on here and seen this. Still have some kinks but this car is still the shit even with having new with similar power.
So, it aged well? I knew if you take care of it that they would still be great, but if it is competing with the new stuff, that's a ringing endorsement.

·
Registered
717 Posts
So, it aged well? I knew if you take care of it that they would still be great, but if it is competing with the new stuff, that's a ringing endorsement.
Yes, engine and everything is good. Runs very strong even after sitting. The reason it kept sitting were repeated transmission issues.

Reactions: drowssap

·
Registered
717 Posts
Auto

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if others have had issues as well? I was curious to see what would hold up better.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My trans has been having trouble since I bored out to a 402 and started putting out the 490 to rw. The trans guy I was using upgraded all parts and built it up to a pro race level trans he called it. A few times was trans cooler, converter screen ups. But I’ve been through this 5-6 times at least 6 if I’m having issues again as I suspect. I feel I may have lost overdrive on the highway now.

I had the car retuned on a mustang dyno this year to further tune trans and car etc since I wanted it back in ready to race shape. And it was, they even found 80 more horsepower in the tune, on the mustang dyno it went from 400 to 487rwhp. Last tune was a dyno jet I or inertia. Now Seems like trans or convert may be failing again. Not sure yet, weird and inconsistent symptoms. I may have to go with a diff trans. But I want to have overdrive and not sure th400 does. I was looking at 6Auto swop but 7k just for trans! wont know until I get it to shop once it opens again. Actually drives fine and very strong when just driving around Town and not at highway speeds.

But back to the point on longevity on GTO. I think these are best bang for buck vehicle out there. Ls2 is a great engine that responded to every mod I made. I think the trans would be fine for years with 4L65 vs 04 trans 4L60. Unless major upgrades, cam/ heads I’d say trans would be fine. My trans showed the slightest sign of slipping around when or after I hit my PB heavily modded at that point. Great track car. I also made approx 70-80 passes on the trans. So until I had to open it up, it was perfect.

·
LS9 FTW
243 Posts
Have you looked into a 4l80e swap? It's not as involved as it seems, you can even use your stock TCM to control it.

I'd love to see a 6L80e kit for the 04-06 GTO; one guy got it working but the project went dead as he sold the car due to shoddy work from the shop who screwed it up.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I will have to look into that one too.

·
is HOAGIEGOAT.
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
What up cuz!!! Thought I saw you a few weekends ago. You dusted my wifes rx350!!! Also I think you have a tall twin in twp. Went to scarpinatos for dinner and he looked like you but no tattoo.
lol. I actually live right next to Scarpinato's. May have been me...but I'm pretty sure that I haven't gotten any taller, unfortunately.

Got mine running and took a ride down to Bellview winery May 2d. Passed another GTO on the way back on Tuckahoe Rd I think. We did the wave. First GTO I have seen in quite some time.
I think that was me. Was the first GTO I've seen in a while as well. Actually haven't seen one since.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm planning to boost mine, so i'll probably post a write up and document the whole thing. Think I might do a youtube channel as well. It might bring some knowledge to the new generation. I wonder how many are left.
I've seen so many totaled as soon as the price started dropping. Was a bit too much power for the youngsters with no car experience.

·
You build it, I break it!
4,621 Posts
I'm finally getting ready to build my dream shop to store the car in over here. 30x40 12' walls with a lift and all the goodies! Be happy to have a few of the original crew up here once it is done to break it in right maybe in the fall??

·
Quick but not fast
335 Posts
I forget his name but it's a red GTO with blue flames, in Bordentown in front of Chickie's and Pete's on Tuesday.

Today, Thursday I spotted a PBM 04 in Columbus on Columbus road

41 - 55 of 55 Posts