LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cabra Rapida
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts or speculation on this, I will be having 1 7/8's Kooks installed with my heads/ cam soon. Some people are telling me to wrap them to keep the heat in and in return keep the velocities higher.
Is there any truth to this or is it just speculation?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I would not do it. Biggest issue being clearance. Especially with the 1 7/8. Get a ceramic coating, and you should be fine.

·
18,253 Posts
I know they're stainless, but wrapping can also trap in moisture, leading to corrosion/rust0thru (probably not an issue with the SS though).

I'd say ceramic coating (inside and out) also, will help to retain the heat, least to keep down the underhood temps. I don't know how much it helps in performance, unless you're talking about using a turbo (esp. remote mounted like the STS), where the heat energy is what's 'driving' the turbo.

·
Da Bidness End
677 Posts
Wrapping is the worst thing you could do to a header. While ceramic coating reduces heat and helps flow, wrapping insulates and heats the headers to an even hotter tempurature than it is designed for, holds it in longer, prevents dissipation and weakens the metal over time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Its already tight in the steering rack area. I just have this image of some of the wrap coming off in that area and getting tangled somehow with that steering knuckle in mid turn.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
there was a post here about wraping header , and i posted a couple pics of headers damaged by the wrap

on a daily driven car , not good (granted stainless will take the abuse longer than steel , but they still get damaged)

on a strip only car , its ok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts