LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
donde esta la biblioteca
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done it?? im kind of on the fence about it. I was thinking of maybe just doing the hood for right now and see how I like it. I didn't want to pay to have it done just incase I didn't like it. if I did like it then I would have it professionally done.

if anyone has or done some research on it, do you know where I can find some big enough to do my hood?? im not looking for a color change, just a matte clear to make the hood matte black and see how it goes.

·
Powdercoat all of it
76 Posts
has anyone done it?? im kind of on the fence about it. I was thinking of maybe just doing the hood for right now and see how I like it. I didn't want to pay to have it done just incase I didn't like it. if I did like it then I would have it professionally done.

if anyone has or done some research on it, do you know where I can find some big enough to do my hood?? im not looking for a color change, just a matte clear to make the hood matte black and see how it goes.
I'm no help, I'm dipping mine pearl white this fall. I have all the supplies I need. If you want to do a matte finish, dip may be your more economical solution. It's definitely not as resilient as vinyl wrap, but that could be a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but im not gonna buy 10 cans to paint the hood nor buy the kit just to do the hood, unless they have some sort of smaller kit I can get a hold of

·
Living the dream!
4,785 Posts
yea but im not gonna buy 10 cans to paint the hood nor buy the kit just to do the hood, unless they have some sort of smaller kit I can get a hold of
TEN cans? Damn!
You trying to go "LA Class Submarine" with that coating??

·
Powdercoat all of it
76 Posts
Like I said, I'm no help. But to clarify, plastidip has come a long way since flat black rattle cans. My GTO will have 4 gallons of white, 2 gallons of pearlizer and 50g of pearl additive sprayed through a self-contained dip "system" (looks like a dust buster attached to a spray gun via a flex hose). The dip and additives cost $400 on sale, came with a car kit (prep spray, masking tape, drapes, etc). This will be the 4th vehicle I dip, and I'm looking forward to a nice pearl effect!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wrapping it is not bad but for the love of god don't plasti-dip unless you want to leave it dipped forever. Its a nightmare to get back off. I know they make it look really easy and for the most parts it does come off easy in the big spots but getting the rest off is a pain in the @ss. Mine was dipped white for a couple of years and when I finally decided to remove it I realized how bad I messed up. The panels are fine but its the corners, cracks and gaps that are impossible to remove. All of the body panel gaps and lips wont peel off like the rest. you end up having to scrub it off. I ended up removing almost all of the body panels off the car (bumpers, trunk, hood, doors) to get to all of the overspray in the places you just cant reach. Never again.

·
Powdercoat all of it
76 Posts
Wrapping it is not bad but for the love of god don't plasti-dip unless you want to leave it dipped forever. Its a nightmare to get back off. I know they make it look really easy and for the most parts it does come off easy in the big spots but getting the rest off is a pain in the @ss. Mine was dipped white for a couple of years and when I finally decided to remove it I realized how bad I messed up. The panels are fine but its the corners, cracks and gaps that are impossible to remove. All of the body panel gaps and lips wont peel off like the rest. you end up having to scrub it off. I ended up removing almost all of the body panels off the car (bumpers, trunk, hood, doors) to get to all of the overspray in the places you just cant reach. Never again.
Sounds like you could use some practice dipping. Mine came off fine, and I dipped it again. I've dipped thin in past projects, and that's an issue. But if you get enough dip to give it several coats, even edges and corners aren't a problem.

·
Powdercoat all of it
76 Posts
I would think maybe waxing it (will it still stick tho?) before the dip would help.
No wax before dip. In fact, part of the process is a wash with Dawn or equivalent to cut wax. Then pre-dip spray to help adhesion.

No, for ease of removal, dip should be thick. I've sprayed things light before, and I know what he's referring to with the scraping for removal. However, if you plan ahead and get an appropriately-sized kit (medium instead of small, etc), you'll have enough dip to build it up for ease of removal, especially in all the nooks and crannies.

Dip should be treated as a temporary means of seeing what a new color would look like on your car without committing to the sanding and bodywork. However, if you're going to that effort, you want the dip to be removable when you want. That's where spraying many coats, masking where appropriate and even removing certain parts like the headlights or front bumper come in. When I dip mine this fall, I'll take the front bumper off (5 minutes) and the spoiler (never done, doesn't look especially difficult), and I'm considering the rear lower valance. The rest will be tape and butcher paper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
^^ Log in, and then in the quick reply box at the bottom for this thread, look for the little picture icon. SHould let you post a picture.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No wax before dip. In fact, part of the process is a wash with Dawn or equivalent to cut wax. Then pre-dip spray to help adhesion.

No, for ease of removal, dip should be thick. I've sprayed things light before, and I know what he's referring to with the scraping for removal. However, if you plan ahead and get an appropriately-sized kit (medium instead of small, etc), you'll have enough dip to build it up for ease of removal, especially in all the nooks and crannies.

Dip should be treated as a temporary means of seeing what a new color would look like on your car without committing to the sanding and bodywork. However, if you're going to that effort, you want the dip to be removable when you want. That's where spraying many coats, masking where appropriate and even removing certain parts like the headlights or front bumper come in. When I dip mine this fall, I'll take the front bumper off (5 minutes) and the spoiler (never done, doesn't look especially difficult), and I'm considering the rear lower valance. The rest will be tape and butcher paper.
What if the car is ceramic coated?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My clear coat looked awful. So I sanded the entire car even though it wasn't needed but I just started and then found one thing after the other when I was sanding and lead me to sand the entire car down. Got my front emblem and rear emblem holes filled, and fixed any rust areas and sealed and exposed areas and then took it to a shop and had them wrap the entire car. Cost me around 1200 bucks for the wrap material and labor. When I do get around to repainting the car, I will paint it back this light gray color. I love this color from 3m.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wrap the GTO

I inherited my black '04 GTO with a cyclone gray wrap I just removed it from the trunk & the lower balances, the hood is already unwrapped I was given a black hood from a rear wrecked '06, what it cost to just wrap the hood I could've had the whole damn car painted. Now it has a unique 2 tone look. I also just removed the spoiler.

Attachments

·
donde esta la biblioteca
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was talking to buddy at work about it and since I just wanted to do the hood to see how it looked with matte black, he started giving me all sorts of grief saying it would just look like an unpainted hood on my car and look kinda ghetto. he suggested a single strip going over the car. I was thinking red but I know there's the whole thing red/blue/green line stuff going on for fire fighters/police and military, and im not gonna get involved with that whole thing since im none of them. I love the black of the of the gto (since its my second one) but I just want to try something different and see how it is

I did all my badges with plastic dip but they seem to fade. I don't know if the detailer puts something on them or what but I have to do them like 3 times a year because of that.

also, off the topic, the Pontiac badge on the trunk lid, does that have pins in the back for positioning or is it just help on with the tape stuff?? I took the Pontiac letters off and the 6.0 and wanted to do the arrow head too, but not if it leaves holes...ill just plastic dip it again lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't have a "PONTIAC" badge I have the GTO on the driver side & 5.7 on the right with the Pontiac arrowhead dead center just above the trunk body line, all of my trunk badges are placed using a self adhesive material, just like a stamp peel the back place the badge wherever you want it. When I pulled the wrap off the trunk I just used a utility knife to cut around the badges so before it was wrapped I can't say how the badging is mounted. I'm greeting fantastic compliments about the 2 tone paint scheme. I'll say this wrapping a car is way more expensive than painting it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
Chopstick
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing