LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty quick car, really. I'm still not used to shifting (keep exceeding the damn redline!). My GTP would redline at 6k and shift. The cabin of the GTO is so quiet I can't really tell when I'm exceeding redline. I can only tell when the car starts shuddering at 6500 and slowing itself down.

Anyway, this guy is with his young wife in their WRX at the light and I can tell he wants to let loose. He's first in line and I'm right behind him and he keeps looking in the mirror. Now, I have a crap load of stuff in that 9 cu. ft. I call a trunk (mostly car parts I'm selling from my GTP), so I'm pretty weighted down. The light turns red and he floors it. I think, "what the hell," and launch hard and pull into the right lane next to him and start to pull on him when my car starts shuddering (damn redline!). Hard shift into 2nd and I'm 1/2 a car length ahead and... car starts shuddering :banghead: , slap it into 3rd and rape the WRX, quick shift into 5th and I look into my mirror and he's five car lengths behind (I'm over 100 - not good). I slow down and he pulls next to me, nods his head, and takes the next turn. Pretty nice guy and took his loss with dignity.

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
he he he... yeah, having owned a 5 speed WRX before my GTO... I know, its great off the line, but once the speeds start going up, the car starts going down. I'm not knocking it though, it was a fun car! Race him in the twisties :)

Nice job!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
jagular said:
Pretty quick car, really. I'm still not used to shifting (keep exceeding the damn redline!). My GTP would redline at 6k and shift. The cabin of the GTO is so quiet I can't really tell when I'm exceeding redline. I can only tell when the car starts shuddering at 6500 and slowing itself down.
A little tip of advice I learned in my drag racing infancy years ago...

"One eye track, one eye tach!"

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts