LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while back me and my roommate did some racing. He has an 02 WS6 with qtp long tubes, no cats, slp lm1 cat-back, slp air lid, and gears. We did prob about 10 runs. I would beat him top-end, especially if we did a second gear roll. He usually always has me in first by maybe half a car into second. I won about half the time and he won the other half. I thought this was strange as to how my car was nearly stock (only had intake, plugs, and flowmaster mufflers) at the time. I figured he would have pulled me pretty bad, but he never did at all. We are both pretty decent drivers as well. Input anyone??

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Alot of the F-body guys brag alot about beating GTO's .

I have yet to be beat by one. That's not saying it wont happen. I've had my ass kicked by a nicely modded 240SX and was murdalized by a C6 Z06

But when I go up against an F-body, even when I was stock, It was always dead even. Now, with the work i have done, I walk away pretty quick.

I guess what I mean to say is that, a 2004 GTO and an f-body are very evenly matched. But alot of F-body guys guys take that statement VERY personally.

If you lose to to an F-body it's the natural order of things;)
If you win, it's just not possible because:
1) power to weight
2)equal drivers this and that
3)solid rear axle vs. independent rear
4)one piece drive shaft vs. multipiece

Basically following the standard ricer excuses.

Production tolerances, difference in tuning etc, can make a difference. I wouldn't worry about, you have a fast, great handling, great interior, great build quality and fast car. Just enjoy it.

ps. 20 bucks says You'll be getting responses from f-body/mustang/corvette guys that will say they never been beat by a GTO, never even came close. For fun, just write down the ricey excuses they use:)

In all fairness to your friend, Has he had the car tuned? The mods he has will give him upto 30 more horsepower, but he really won't see it unless he has a good tune; and I don't mean a Diablo tune or Hypertech. I mean two or three hours on a dyno.

You guys have Vinci Performance right in Orlando right? They had a great reputation when I had my '99Trans Am a couple of years ago.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
There was a TA running 11.4 at WIR when I ran my 12.86

·
silver m6
240 Posts
Unless the Fbody was cammed or fully bolt on, I have not lost. I ran a sprayed WS6, had 5 cars out of the hole and the little prick got me by 1 and 1/2 . He asked me what kinda of shot i was running. I told him nothing. It's called launching.

·
WANTED ALIVE!!!!
3,799 Posts
my friend has a 2000 T/A wit qtp headers, hi flow cats, corsa exhaust, Z06 clutch and i think he went with 3.73 gears. well anyways whenever we line up together its always a great race. the first one he got me cause i just sat there spinning. the second and third race we were a lil bit dead even then i would start to pull away.

·
Registered
112 Posts
my first time at the track i raced a WS6 with hypertech tune and exhaust, he was just as good of driver as me, i killed him every time ,first gear we where dead even then when i hit second i would pull about a car every gear. he ran 13.8 i ran 13.3

·
Banned
868 Posts
After my tune I ran one and it was a close race. He would have definetly pulled on me a little without the tune. I beat him by 4-6 lenghts from a 60mph roll and only by a few lenghts from a stop.

·
Groovey...
422 Posts
I have yet to lose a race to a F-body either and I know someday it will happen. I think a lot of people thinking the GTO's were slow was due to the fact when the car came out people just did not know how to drive them. I got into a GTO after driving a 02 WS6 for 2 years, it took a little time to adjust.

·
Registered
500 Posts
black_GTOLS2 said:
my first time at the track i raced a WS6 with hypertech tune and exhaust, he was just as good of driver as me, i killed him every time ,first gear we where dead even then when i hit second i would pull about a car every gear. he ran 13.8 i ran 13.3
Hypertech tune sucks, it usually hurts the F-Body rather than improving the performance, it's a waste of money.

About the only things that HPPIII is good for adjusting A4 shift points, odometer adjustment with short gears,and comple of other minor things but it is a terrible tuning programmer.

·
Slow F-body
328 Posts
odie3283 said:
So, you're kidding me right now...

I had the same setup on mine and ran [email protected] 116 all day long...your 14 second car isn't hanging unless your friend is an amputee...
I hope that was a gutted car because 116 isreally high for a bolt-on car most i've seen is around 113 for a full weight car

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2edybrd said:
Alot of the F-body guys brag alot about beating GTO's .

I have yet to be beat by one. That's not saying it wont happen. I've had my ass kicked by a nicely modded 240SX and was murdalized by a C6 Z06

But when I go up against an F-body, even when I was stock, It was always dead even. Now, with the work i have done, I walk away pretty quick.

I guess what I mean to say is that, a 2004 GTO and an f-body are very evenly matched. But alot of F-body guys guys take that statement VERY personally.

If you lose to to an F-body it's the natural order of things;)
If you win, it's just not possible because:
1) power to weight
2)equal drivers this and that
3)solid rear axle vs. independent rear
4)one piece drive shaft vs. multipiece

Basically following the standard ricer excuses.

Production tolerances, difference in tuning etc, can make a difference. I wouldn't worry about, you have a fast, great handling, great interior, great build quality and fast car. Just enjoy it.

ps. 20 bucks says You'll be getting responses from f-body/mustang/corvette guys that will say they never been beat by a GTO, never even came close. For fun, just write down the ricey excuses they use:)

In all fairness to your friend, Has he had the car tuned? The mods he has will give him upto 30 more horsepower, but he really won't see it unless he has a good tune; and I don't mean a Diablo tune or Hypertech. I mean two or three hours on a dyno.

You guys have Vinci Performance right in Orlando right? They had a great reputation when I had my '99Trans Am a couple of years ago.

Yea i want to get my car tuned at Vinci when I get some money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts