LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of Catted or non catted JBA mids.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
530 Posts
Those seem harder and harder to come by. You ever toy with the idea of just switching to some long tubes?

·
GR-RRR!
6,925 Posts
It really is a shame that JBA quit making them. I had their shorties and catted mids for quite a while and really liked them. When I switched to long tubes they did increase output but not as much as you might think.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those seem harder and harder to come by. You ever toy with the idea of just switching to some long tubes?
Yeah it sucks they discontinued them. Yeah I've been looking at long tubes.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is a shame that JBA quit making them. I had their shorties and catted mids for quite a while and really liked them. When I switched to long tubes they did increase output but not as much as you might think.
[/QUO
We all know the restriction is in the mids with these cars. If you already have the JBA mids and shorties on your car is the small increase in horsepower worth paying the money for a set of long tubes? I guess you could sell the shorties and mids to offset the cost of the long tubes.

·
GR-RRR!
6,925 Posts
We all know the restriction is in the mids with these cars. If you already have the JBA mids and shorties on your car is the small increase in horsepower worth paying the money for a set of long tubes? I guess you could sell the shorties and mids to offset the cost of the long tubes.
I suppose the amount of increase from shorties to long tubes would vary depending on your other mods. For me, just pretty much full bolt ons and while it didn't increase the numbers on paper all that much (about 10hp) going from JBA shorties and JBA high flow catted mids to Kooks stepped long tubes and Kooks catted mids, the power increase was throughout the entire RPM range and was definitely noticeable. To me, it was well worth it and since I sold my JBA parts for almost as much as I spent on the Kooks that was a bonus. I got the Kooks which were already Jet Hot coated and only very slightly used with the cats and O2 sensor extensions for $900 and sold my ceramic coated JBAs for $700.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
385 Posts
To be honest. I was on the fence myself with upgrading the stock manifolds to headers. Even the shorty header idea. Honestly. Go longtubes. I promise if your not in a hurry, have patience and are mechanically inclined. Longtube headers are the way to go. Not hard to put in these cars either I might add. Not as easy as my 01 WS6 I had, but not a lot harder. Definitely tested patience once or twice. I just was not in a rush. The power gained is worth it.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest. I was on the fence myself with upgrading the stock manifolds to headers. Even the shorty header idea. Honestly. Go longtubes. I promise if your not in a hurry, have patience and are mechanically inclined. Longtube headers are the way to go. Not hard to put in these cars either I might add. Not as easy as my 01 WS6 I had, but not a lot harder. Definitely tested patience once or twice. I just was not in a rush. The power gained is worth it.
I have had the shorties on the car since 2009. I always put off buying the mids though. I would never have thought that JBA would've stopped making them.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
385 Posts
O. I see. I agree with the other guys maybe make your own then. You could use your factory midpipes as the mochup pipes and have some made. That'd be what I would do. Or cut your cats out and weld pipe but that may not look good though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts