LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1965 and 2005 GTO Owner
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short very low mileage 2005 GTO opened the hood and the hood pad has some white mold spots that will not come off. Part is discontinued from GM. Lots of places on the web that show a hood pad in stock but when you talk to them they don't have one. Looking to buy an NOS hood pad in the box. Thank you

·
Administrator
8,978 Posts
Good luck. They have been NLA everywhere for years, so you're certainly looking for a needle in a haystack hoping someone has one laying around.

FYI, but those white marks are "normal". Every single GTO I've owned has had them develop from mineral deposits that are left behind after it gets wet from either washing or splashing up while driving in the rain. You're most likely best option is to remove it and hit the insulator with some flat black trim paint to make it look like new again.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Good luck. They have been NLA everywhere for years, so you're certainly looking for a needle in a haystack hoping someone has one laying around.

FYI, but those white marks are "normal". Every single GTO I've owned has had them develop from mineral deposits that are left behind after it gets wet from either washing or splashing up while driving in the rain. You're most likely best option is to remove it and hit the insulator with some flat black trim paint to make it look like new again.
How do you remove it without messing it up? Those plastic clips require prying out with a trim tool which in turn messes up the insulator.

I think the hood looks better without it regardless

·
Administrator
8,978 Posts
How do you remove it without messing it up? Those plastic clips require prying out with a trim tool which in turn messes up the insulator.

It can be done if you take your time with the right panel tool and squeeze in the retaining "arms" of the clips a bit. I bought one of the last NOS insulators a few years back so I could have a nice fresh one on my 05. I personally don't like the look of a bare underside of a GTO hood at all, and without an insulator, the closing of the hood produces a loud tinny metallic sound that feels cheap. If you need to remove the insulator, then the next best option is to pull the hood and paint the underside so at least it looks finished.

·
Administrator
8,978 Posts
It’s a fiberglass(ish) material that gets pretty delicate to handle as it ages.

Reactions: whippersnapper02

·
GR-RRR!
7,029 Posts
Isn't it pretty much cardboard? I've thought about getting this and recovering mine but haven't looked into it.
Yeah, except I don't think he makes anything but the 04 (5.7 L) version.

I bought a new one in the box some years ago which is tucked up in the rafters. My original is still holding in there pretty well. I also got a pretty decent one when I bought a spare hood.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
608 Posts
Yeah, except I don't think he makes anything but the 04 (5.7 L) version.

I bought a new one in the box some years ago which is tucked up in the rafters. My original is still holding in there pretty well. I also got a pretty decent one when I bought a spare hood.
I contacted them today about it. They make 5.7 or 6.0 but didn't specify if the cutouts are there but I'll ask when ordering. They sell them as DIY kits so I'm assuming they used to sell premade insulation and you would need your own for the kit.

·
It's only cosmetic...
564 Posts
Isn't it pretty much cardboard? I've thought about getting this and recovering mine but haven't looked into it.
Thats a little more expensive than I expected.

I bought a liner from www.hoodliners.net

The material is nice. They can also make custom logos that can be applied to the liner. It's half the cost of the one you linked. I think it looks really clean when it's installed.

·
Administrator
8,978 Posts
I contacted them today about it. They make 5.7 or 6.0 but didn't specify if the cutouts are there but I'll ask when ordering. They sell them as DIY kits so I'm assuming they used to sell premade insulation and you would need your own for the kit.
They used to sell them as DIY kits or installed on brand new OEM hood liners back when they were readily available. Remember quite a few people back in the day who bought them and they sure looked nice.

Reactions: whippersnapper02

·
Registered
3,378 Posts

Once the pad is removed, you will see how cheap GM was with the paint.

·
Living the dream!
4,854 Posts
The cutouts are not there. You have to create them on your own, but it is not difficult. After installing and rolling it to get everything nice and fitted, a simple "X" cut in the middle of each scoop, fold the sides over and adhere them to the underside. The most difficult part of the whole job was getting the logo lined up properly before the adhesive grabbed it. Other than that, it went pretty smoothly.

The material comes in a large sheet with the logo in the middle. You do all of the fitting yourself. If I remember correctly, I think I centered and glued the logo first, then did the rest afterwards. There was plenty of material to work with and the whole job took only a few hours.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
608 Posts
The cutouts are not there. You have to create them on your own, but it is not difficult. After installing and rolling it to get everything nice and fitted, a simple "X" cut in the middle of each scoop, fold the sides over and adhere them to the underside. The most difficult part of the whole job was getting the logo lined up properly before the adhesive grabbed it. Other than that, it went pretty smoothly.

The material comes in a large sheet with the logo in the middle. You do all of the fitting yourself. If I remember correctly, I think I centered and glued the logo first, then did the rest afterwards. There was plenty of material to work with and the whole job took only a few hours.
Thanks for the extra info. I figured that even if the cutouts weren't there, they can be simply added. The inserts can clean up the rough edges but I don't run them. I thought about cutting them to run partial for more insulation support anyway.

·
Living the dream!
4,854 Posts
Thanks for the extra info. I figured that even if the cutouts weren't there, they can be simply added. The inserts can clean up the rough edges but I don't run them. I thought about cutting them to run partial for more insulation support anyway.
You're welcome.

It actually makes the installation easier without having the cutouts in the kit. If they were there, it would make it just that much more difficult to line everything up once the adhesive is ready.
I cut out the scoop holes after I was finished smoothing out all of the rough area's. Save them for the last step.

Leave about 1" extra material all along the perimeter so you can fold it over the sides and make it look really nice and clean. If you trim it at the edge, it'll show the OEM insulation under it at the edges.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
608 Posts
You're welcome.

It actually makes the installation easier without having the cutouts in the kit. If they were there, it would make it just that much more difficult to line everything up once the adhesive is ready.
I cut out the scoop holes after I was finished smoothing out all of the rough area's. Save them for the last step.

Leave about 1" extra material all along the perimeter so you can fold it over the sides and make it look really nice and clean. If you trim it at the edge, it'll show the OEM insulation under it at the edges.
Gotcha. So you went over the OEM fabric or removed it? I wanted to foil tape areas that are tearing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
from the Factory, the 04 & 05/06 ones were Different Material O4s like earlier era cars hood insulation, while 06 I got given to me yrs ago is compressed. Both our 04s have 05 hoods on them, and the cutout area isn't aging super well, but it's been ~15 yrs now
I didn't have issue getting clips out, or putting a couple new ones in. Clip locations on 04 are also different in a couple spots as well from 05/06
adhesive? no evidence of it on any of the 3 I've dealt with

speaking of clip locations, anyone know where I left the clips from the wife's trunk lid liner? :cautious:

·
Living the dream!
4,854 Posts
Gotcha. So you went over the OEM fabric or removed it? I wanted to foil tape areas that are tearing.
I installed the carmotorsports fabric over the existing OEM hood liner. My liner was not looking too happy and I wanted to make it look new again. I tried all kinds of stuff, but the carmotorsorts fabric was, by far, the best decision I made to bring it back to looking new again.

Here's the thread from April of 2012: Embroidered Hood Liner

Get yourself something like this to help flatten-out the material in the uneven surfaces: POWERTEC 1-1/2 in. x 3 in. Long Handle J-Roller with Rubber Roller-71010 - The Home Depot
You can probably find find them on amazon for a cheaper price.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Nah, I know of others

1 - 20 of 23 Posts