LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the 402ci stroker that SLP released for $3600? What happened to it?! Did they stop selling this or are they just working out some problems with it? Does anyone have any info?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
They're Iron blocks though.Buy a Lunati 395 kit for your own block,it works out better and about the same cost when complete.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ehh....won't be even close to getting it before the sale ends...actually, didn't it already?

Anyways...still looking, but I guess SLP wasn't making enough profit off of it?

-EDIT- NVMD Its back! :D

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
As far as I know the orders that we have in should start shipping this week. The Lunati stoker assemblies have been very popular but I think the 402 will give them a good run!

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Remember, that $3,600 is just the rotating assembly! You have to add your own external parts which is where the $$$ add up.

So I'm with Bone.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
That's what I meant, sorry for the technicality! :rolleyes:

You still have to add heads, cam, intake, and your choice of stock oil pump, timing chain, and of course all pans and plates.

In which case, I am correct as you only get a punched out block, with a crank, pistons, connecting rods, and bearings, I.E. A ROTATING ASSEMBLY!!!

The other choice is everything but the block, however, I consider it all assembled a COMPLETE rotating assembly. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CMNTMXR57 said:
That's what I meant, sorry for the technicality! :rolleyes:

You still have to add heads, cam, intake, and your choice of stock oil pump, timing chain, and of course all pans and plates.

In which case, I am correct as you only get a punched out block, with a crank, pistons, connecting rods, and bearings, I.E. A ROTATING ASSEMBLY!!!

The other choice is everything but the block, however, I consider it all assembled a COMPLETE rotating assembly. Wouldn't you?

You can't just use the stock parts for this application?? Also, it seems that the rods are not forged....would this be a weakness in the engine if using forced induction (on the low compression model).

The Lunati comes as a COMPLETE rotating assembly?

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
Search in the LS1/LS6 Internal forum over at www.ls1tech.com , there's two or three threads with all the technical info on the SLP shortblock. All in all, it looks like a good deal for the $$. I spent a little bit more for a local shop to build mine, I got studded mains, 6 more CID, and a 12/12,000 warranty.
:)

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Here are the real facts from SLP posted on LS1tech. To me its a good deal and i'm interested in purchasing. The rods arn't a weakness as you will read. This short block should suit any typical combination, not everyone needs Lunati rotating assembly.

Guys -

Thanks for the interest in SLP's new ZL 402 short block. I would like to clear up some of the rumors, and offer some facts about the package. The package has not been officially released quite yet, as engine #1 is actually still busy being thrashed/tested on our dyno. All testing should be completed within a week or so.

Anyway, a detailed editorial about SLP's new 402 was published in the May/June 2004 edition of Pontiac Enthusiast Magazine (the only typo is the 60# weight reference- the iron block weighs 100# more than the aluminum. The cost was originally stated as $3995, we have since LOWERED it to $3595.). I recommend reading the article if you are interested.

Here are the main ingredients:

1- Production 6.0L cast block

2 - Internally balanced rotating assembly

3 - SLP spec'd Eagle 4" crankshaft

4 - SLP spec'd 6.125" H-beam rods (Eagle and Manley)

5 - SLP spec'd 4" pistons, 2618 forging (Ross and Manley)
N/A version (approx 11.2:1)
Heavy-Duty, Forced Induction version (approx 9:1)

6 - $3595 retail

7 – 402 CID 'rotating assembly' sold separately (parts only, no block, not assembled)

8 - SLP will also offer 383 CID rotating assemblies (no short block 383....right now)

Best regards,
Brian

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
SLP is getting their act together, SLP built their name when they used SLP propreitary parts on the third gen Firehawk trans am. Since then i'd say they just slapped SLP badges on their newer firehawks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what do you folks feel is the easiest, most complete but all at the same time affordable option for a stroker? Would stock heads really not work?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
The most affordable SLP. The best stroker short block, anything from ARE or MTI.

The SLP one is budget cause you are using a GM block, you could build a 382 and retain the alloy block. But 382 is a under square set up.

Using the stock heads isn't a great idea, to build horsepower you have to burn more fuel with more air. For a cam only set up and some bolt ons they work well, they are still holding back potential power.

Some have estimated its possible with the soon to be released AFR 225cc heads with a large camshaft its possible to put down 500rwhp with a head and cam swap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GMH GTO said:
Some have estimated its possible with the soon to be released AFR 225cc heads with a large camshaft its possible to put down 500rwhp with a head and cam swap.
Are those figures with stock displacement?! Im really looking for a set-up that will get me around 650 to 700rwHP while still being reliable and able to use pump gas (93). I have seen numerous Vettes do it so I know it's possible with the LS1's. I've only seen it done with larger displacement tho... and of course stronger internals

1 - 17 of 17 Posts