LS1GTO Forums banner

X Pipe Expectations

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  blk00ss 
#1 ·
My '05 has JBA shorty headers, JBA catless mids and Bassani catback. I was very happy in car until recently when I got some highway video pulls.

This setup sounds really good until you get into the higher RPM and then it turns really "plappy", "fluttery". It loses its throaty roar that it has down low. I know ditching the Bassani perforated X in favor of a regular x pipe is common among users of this setup, but curious how it would change the sound. I know the x helps mitigate the deceleration pop, but how would it change the sound of the system while on the gas?

#2 ·
I have the JBA shorty's, JBA hi-flow cats into the stock mufflers. I installed a Pypes X-Pipe on mine last fall and I love it. It did make it a bit louder over the factory h pipe and I love the way it howls at WOT. It definitely gave it a distinctive sound.

#3 ·
The 05s didnt have an H Pipe. 04s have one for structure, but it is not functional as the HPipe is closed and just connects the sides after the mid pipes.

#4 ·
I'm just wondering if an actual x pipe in place of the Bassani "perforated X" will help this Bassani system keep its throaty tone at high rpm like it sounds down low. Right now during a hard pull it sounds like a blown glass pack. Real "plappy", not throaty like I had thought the Bassani setup would give me. I'm thinking maybe I should have went with the Magnaflow catback.

#5 ·
The Magnaflow of course has an X but sounds throaty and meaty all the way through the RPM range. I have a MF catback with JBA shorties and JBA high flow cats. Great sound. Decently rumbly but quiet enough to not be obnoxious at idle and normal cruising, get's downright cackle-y at WOT.

#6 ·
I have the 3" Magnaflow with LTs and no cats. It is not throaty or meaty, it is 'tinny' and quiet, especially at idle. I will be going back with Borla. Zero rasp, and easily defeatable drone (increase or decrease cruise speed/rpms and it goes away) FWIW.

My previous 2.5" Borla ATAK setup with xpipe and LTs was very aggressive, throaty and had a very distinct sound WOT, BUT, was very raspy around 2k rpms. I suspect the custom xpipe was too small and it had poop welds and constrictions throughout. A 3" Borla XR1 or ATAK on the Magnaflow system is something I can wait to do. Rant over.

#9 ·
Here's one with magnaflow xpipe instead of bassani. Might help you. Honestly bassani sounds kind of like magnaflow to me. Both low rumbles but louder when under throttle without being obnoxious. Maybe both are straight throughs?

https://youtu.be/FYB1V6iz8CQ

#10 ·
PHP:
[PHP]
[/PHP]

This is actually the video that drove me to selecting the Bassani system years ago. My car sounds very similar to this one when just revving it. The issues as I mentioned is while driving up in the RPM range. I've actually been all over this guy's youtube page and none of his videos are high range pulls unfortunately. But this video has me wondering if an Xpipe changes tone up high in the RPM range which is why I started this thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.