LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this section started up, no one has brought up current options for installing XM. I know there are threads out there, but I am kind of lazy(I may get around to moving lounge threads one of these nights, but it takes a while to surf through the lounge). I am thinking about adding this, but I would like a nice looking unit when installed. Also, I would like a unit that I can transfer to my truck easily, since I drive it most of the time. I want to retain a good look, and do not want to do a lot of hard work when it comes to installing.

I am not opposed to Sirus (sp?) either, but I do want some of the comedy channels. Does Sirus have comedy channels? I am hoping to spend around 200-300 for the setup for both vehicles.

Thanks in advance for the help! :thumbs:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I'm in the middle of a cross-country trip right now and I simply can't do without my XM. Greatest gadget since... I don't know... since the beer keg. :)

Anyway, I got a Delphi Roady. I mounted it on the middle panel behind the two power window switches. Fits perfectly, is easy to use and see, and looks pretty cool. Plus, it's convenient to the lighter plug if you don't hardwire it. Only problem is the extra wires.

Also consider how you get it hooked to your stereo. I use the lighter plug/FM broadcast unit and just tune it to 88.x.

XM and Delphi are running some deals with the Roady right now, including one with a home adapter kit. Worth looking into. I'm very pleased with mine.

Padre

·
2,432 Posts
You want XM. Sirius is really not there yet and I doubt it ever will be.

XM comedy is good. You get the real deal no bleeping. It's the main thing I listen to right now; at least until football season rolls around.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
is the Bob and Tom show on XM?

How is the reception indoors?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sirius/XM Tuners

Go to:

http://www.crutchfield.com

and click on "Satellite Radio", then on "Tuners" (not "Receivers"), and you'll see a selection of both Sirius and XM add-on units. I'm guessing that the two bottommost ones might fit into the GTO's console space just below the factory radio receiver. But am not sure of the precise measurements.

A good professional installer might be able to install the tuner behind the existing flip-up door, which would be nice for a clean look and for security.

When considering an in-dash fixed installation vs. an external one, give some thought to the break-in/theft aspect. (I'm not sure whether satellite tuners are a hot item, as they're not particularly expensive.)

As for Sirius vs. XM, up 2U. I have Sirius in another car, and it is very nice, except that it recently took its New Age/Space music channel away in favor of yet another in the endless number of WhateverMetal/HipHop channels. :(

Using an add-on tuner is very easy. You just dial the regular radio to an unused frequency (FM88.7 in my car), turn on the tuner, and there it is. Use your regular volume, etc. controls, and just use the tuner to select the satellite channel.

As for comedy (per question in a previous post), Sirius has two channels, one G-rated and one X-rated.

The only drawback to satellite is the momentary surprise you get when it disappears the moment you enter a tunnel or beneath an extended overpass. Can't see satellite = no signal.

Check out Sirius at:

http://www.siriusradio.com

Don't know the XM URL, but I'm sure it's out there too.

Michael Aquino

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went with the XM Commander, mounted in front of the shifter. It's a permanent install, & 2 holes did have to be drilled, one for mounting, the other for the wiring to pass through.

Works great, I love it! :cool:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Walker said:
I went with the XM Commander, mounted in front of the shifter. It's a permanent install, & 2 holes did have to be drilled, one for mounting, the other for the wiring to pass through.

Works great, I love it! :cool:
Walker, did you use the wireless set up or use a wired modulator? I have done basically the same thing with a roady, only i flip down the door and wedge it in there. I use mine in the house and then if I'm going somewhere I can put it back in the car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The XM Commander is a wired in unit, specifically for FM modulation. It's not something you can remove & use elsewhere. My main goal was to have an XM unit installed cleanly & out of the way. This one fit where I wanted perfectly. Even the little flip down door clears it.

The SkyFi setup was too big to go where I wanted it. With the mount, it would sit way too high, & would be a bit too wide. Nice piece, my sister has one in her Volvo. The optional boom box is a really nice feature, making XM truely portable. I didn't check on the mount they use for the GTO, but I'd imagine it's the same basic design used on Corvettes & Volvos. Hanging off the passenger side of the center console, taking up some of the passenger's legroom area. Makes sitting there kinda uncomfortable.

I asked about the Roady first, since the 7 color display sounded cool, & it had the ability to move to different vehicles. My stereo shop guy mentioned that due to the way it gets the XM signal into the radio, the sound quality was not as good as the wired in setups. Not really what I wanted to hear.

For me, this was the best way to go. :cool:

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really want something that I can transfer from vehicle to vehicle, and think that the Roadie may be the way to go. I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference in sound quality from the wired -vs- remote unit (too many loud concerts have fried my hearing somewhat). Wal-Mart has a pretty good deal on the roadie right now, so I think that I am leaning that direction. I really wish we had a sponsor that sold units.

·
Registered
607 Posts
FYI - if you are an audiophile - you may not want a portable FM unit. Both XM and Sirius broadcast at a full audio spectrum where FM'ing clips around 20khz. If the 'quality' isn't an issue for you then get what works for you :)

Re: Sirius vs XM. I have had Sirius and not XM. I have heard good things about both. Sirius does have comedy and has recently added 10 new channels. What pushed me to Sirius over XM? 3 satellites vs's XM's 2. this gives better coverage areas and is better for those who live in locations with hills & mountians as the angels of coincidence are less w/ Sirius and you will find less dead zones. Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts