LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to a good car audio place to get XM put in my baby tonight. Only problem was they did not have a tool small enough to release the stereo. I was going to have it mounted in the little pod in front of the shifter below the stereo, since there is a perfect spot for a SkyFi if you just remove the little flip down door (the SkyFi fits perfectly between the hinges for it and looks natural, no huge gaps, doesn't look like anything's missing) where you can get the dealer installed cig lighter. But you have to pull the stereo to take the door off, and there are what look like four small screw holes around the stereo chassis, that are actually some sort of release mechanisms. Ford uses them but theirs are larger, so if anyone else goes for XM in this spot make sure they have the tool for taking the stereo out. Hopefully the dealer has it or a tool supplier, I'll find out tomorrow. That spot below the stereo is the only real good place for it to mount and matches the trim perfectly. The installer said I could be a dope and break the door off or wait until tomorrow and find out about the tool. Uh, yeah, we'll try again tomorrow!! I had him run the small satellite antenna to the rear speaker shelf and it's pretty inconspicuous. I'll let you know how it all turns out. XM comes in real handy for frequent 4 to 6 hour trips across Iowa and Nebraska!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does anyone know how Sirius compares to XM? My deck in my car right now is Sirius ready.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe XM is less expensive than Sirius, and XM is in better shape financially. If you want to know more there is a write-up in either the new Motor Trend or Car & Shitty Old Driver, I think it's M/T. May not be on newsstands yet (my store gets both). They said that for either to achieve profitability they need 4 million subscriptions, and currently XM is at 1.5 million and Sirius is only at 260k. But Sirius started after XM did. XM also has GM locked up, which is huge.

·
Wanna Take A Ride?
180 Posts
Can't go wrong with XM!.. I've had XM little over 2 yrs now.. use the Sky-Fi at home, Alpine xm tuner in the GTO and daughter has a Pioneer xm tuner in her car.

Love XM! :) daughter and myself can never settle on a channel.. she likes Raw 66/67 (rap/r&b).. I listen to SquiZz 48 mostly.. sometimes MTV and Top 20 on 20. And of course the Phil Hendrie Show! :D

What's everyone elses favorite XM channels?

·
Disaster
339 Posts
I love channels 42 XMLM(heavy rock) and 48 Squizz. The comedy channel is funny as hell too. :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
britus56 said:
I believe XM is less expensive than Sirius, and XM is in better shape financially. If you want to know more there is a write-up in either the new Motor Trend or Car & Shitty Old Driver, I think it's M/T. May not be on newsstands yet (my store gets both). They said that for either to achieve profitability they need 4 million subscriptions, and currently XM is at 1.5 million and Sirius is only at 260k. But Sirius started after XM did. XM also has GM locked up, which is huge.
Thanks for the info britus!

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
I have XM as a factory option in my cavalier. Love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts