LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed XM in the car yet? Where does the antenna go? I was looking at the system deals right now and they are great. 120 for the unit, car kit both tape and FM modulated, car antenna, and home kit with home antenna. That seems pretty good. The car antenna is the new "low profile" one that is pretty small. Do they install at the dealer/place you buy the XM kit or do you do it yourself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got the roady with the wireless FM. It was pretty cheap, $100 for the roady and $35 I think for the power cord/wireless FM plug. It is super easy to install. I bought some velcro for the antenna and just have it on my dash coming down and I have the wire and my radar detectors wire hidden under the dash and then the roady is in the little area above the cupholders. Easy to read while driving with its large letters and i like how it offers you the option to change the backlight, too bad there isnt a matching green to go with the radio and interior lights.

The only thing is the sound quality. I mostly listen to XM Comedy so wireless doesnt bother me, but you really lose all of the bass when listening to music. The quality is not CD, thats for sure. I am thinking about getting it FM modulated, but I dont know any place to trust with my goat and I need to figure out how to do it myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought the XM-Commander (?). Haven't had it installed yet but the installer advised after checking that it will fit perfectly in the empty compartment under the stereo/cd. I will even be able to close the door when not in use.
I also purchased a different/smaller antenna ($30) which fits on the small flat spot in the middle of the dash right under the front window. You barely notice it.

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does, thanks. I will look at that model. So it can go right into the little pop out thingy under the stereo? Nice. Are you having it hardwired in then?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am having it hard wired along with my adapter for my V-1. I am not 100% sure where I am going to put the V-1 adapter but I was thinking of tucking it under the empty compartment in the back of the coin try.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Matt

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at that and that is very nice and clean. how nice to be able to "hide" it to from thieves. And the antenna on the dash you won't even notice. I am going to get a quote for install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts