LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the back of the cylinder head on the driver side and saw that I have the "yellow OK" mark signifying that the flywheel bolts on the pressure plate has been retorqued to 70 NM from the previous 50 NM.

According to the TSB, the clutch slave cylinder should also have been changed to DOT 4 fluid after VIN break # 181535.

My VIN # is 247XXX and the GTO is built on MAR 04 and it should have been changed to the new slave cylinder part # 92067460 with the DOT 4 fluid.

And yet I check my transmission and near the drain plug I see an orange sticker that says replace with DEXRON III ATF Fluid.

I have been having problems lately with 2nd gear slipping during agressive turns where the RPM's would launch to almost redline, as if it went back to first. I also feel that finding reverse can be notchy at times.

Question: How can a car that is obviously built after the Feb 04 and VIN# 234149 break have a yellow OK mark and yet have a clutch slave cylinder still filled with DOT 3 fluid?

Sorry about the retarded question but I am new at this and any help/info is going to be appreciated by a fellow goater.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
you have your information wrong, its DOT 4 brake fluid in the clutch master. The T56 uses Dextron III hydraulic fluid in the transmisison cause their is some friction material on the gears, using Dextron fluid instead of gear oil.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
desertgoat said:
I just checked the back of the cylinder head on the driver side and saw that I have the "yellow OK" mark signifying that the flywheel bolts on the pressure plate has been retorqued to 70 NM from the previous 50 NM.

According to the TSB, the clutch slave cylinder should also have been changed to DOT 4 fluid after VIN break # 181535.

My VIN # is 247XXX and the GTO is built on MAR 04 and it should have been changed to the new slave cylinder part # 92067460 with the DOT 4 fluid.

And yet I check my transmission and near the drain plug I see an orange sticker that says replace with DEXRON III ATF Fluid.

I have been having problems lately with 2nd gear slipping during agressive turns where the RPM's would launch to almost redline, as if it went back to first. I also feel that finding reverse can be notchy at times.

Question: How can a car that is obviously built after the Feb 04 and VIN# 234149 break have a yellow OK mark and yet have a clutch slave cylinder still filled with DOT 3 fluid?

Sorry about the retarded question but I am new at this and any help/info is going to be appreciated by a fellow goater.
You're not losing it. The only stupid or retarded question is the one you don't ask IMHO. The transmission, though a Manual, takes Dexron III ATF for lubrication. The sticker on the Trans referes to it only, and the fill hole is the hole the backup lamp switch is mounted in, visible just above near the word 'Fill'. The clutch fill location for the hydraulic clutch is separate, and the twain should never meet. DOT3 there is correct. :)

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I knew if I posted here, the more enlightened goat herders will show this newbie shepherd the way to eternal bliss.....

I have another theory about the so-called "slipping" I am experiencing. It may very well be that I am not fully engaging the gear into second while shifting causing the high rpm's to occur.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Could be

desertgoat said:
Thanks guys. I knew if I posted here, the more enlightened goat herders will show this newbie shepherd the way to eternal bliss.....

I have another theory about the so-called "slipping" I am experiencing. It may very well be that I am not fully engaging the gear into second while shifting causing the high rpm's to occur.
The so called 'missed shift' just far enough in to catch the synchro, but not the gear....possible. :sneaky:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts