LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Yes my name is Holden
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Greetings Guys; Thank you for the input, more is welcome. And of course I'm sourcing other sources (opinions FB). But yesterday I got a bit more serious? I called Comp Cams, hadn't talked with them since 2013 when one of the founders called me as I had sent a letter (Yes USPS mail) with my phone #. Not only did he Mr Sparks Help me but filled my brain with so much info, gray goo was coming out my ears & he's still working, not retired yet. Anyway got a well informed young man & picked his brain for all I was worth. From his experience as a tech adviser & talking with 100's of us Car Nuts in particular many Holden - GTO owners. Our converters are Ok till 225* @ .050" & @ 228* the'er a buckin"! So my 222* @. 050" is a bit conservative with a OE converter. One of my most curious questions, COMP Cams 7228TS-KIT Conical Valve Spring Ts Ls Type: What is the max lift these springs can handle? Keep in mind any mass we add to the valve train is our enemy! And I had Titanium & Aluminum retainers in the past. I'm very much in favor of Tool Steel now days, supper thin & strong, plus last for ever. Oh yes the budget, I finely worked on it, $4000 & I got to port my own heads? Later Ole' Bob.

·
Yes my name is Holden
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Greetings Guys; Well I've been tryin' to absorb info, here & everywhere. Rich-Tripower here has posted some very interesting topics. And more than one suggested just port the heads, retaining the OE cam. And that idea is Very High on my More Zoot list. How much do I want to devalue the car? Use OE head bolts & few would even know the heads been off! The first mod (X-Air) is proving to be a lot of plastic cutting. I did purchase a spare fan assembly & radiator cover to cut, chips anyone. After working some out in the hobby shop I have to face the fact that my wrist are no longer strong enough to port my own heads. So setting ones end goal (you're Never Done) & budget has to balance. Now lets talk about 5 axis head porting shops. I'm liking Advanced Induction & Livernois Motor sports then we come to the intake runner size & cam. The team (first post NO converted swap), the cam limits (duration-lift-specs), valve train mass, associated parts & tune. Cams with more than 330* duration are at the limit of happy with OE converter, Ok. Next limit, to keep valve mass minimized bee hive conical wound polished wire springs with tool steel retainers. These springs are at the top of the tech chain. Their lift limit is (depending on brand) .615" to .640", Ok The down side as we all know if it breaks valve & piston could try to be in the same space. Double springs solve this problem, but break way more often (first hand experience 57 years + lots of time above 6000). And of course require a way bigger & Heaver retainer + put a lot more load on the lifter rollers - lobes. Always comes back to end goal. Port the heads, higher ratio rockers & a set of heavier push rods, see why Rich has my attention, Ole' Bob.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts