LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I buy a predator? I can get one thru PAW for $319. Will I see any difference on a bone stock car down to the paper filter and stock exhaust?
I dont even have the 160 stat yet.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
msfyter said:
Should I buy a predator? I can get one thru PAW for $319. Will I see any difference on a bone stock car down to the paper filter and stock exhaust?
I dont even have the 160 stat yet.
The first question back to you is do you have a M6 or A4 GTO? There is more of a difference in the auto because the tuner speeds the shifts up and reduces the torque management.

Doc

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Quick answer - since you have a A4 - yes, if you want the trans to have firmer shifts.

Next, as respects PAWs - do they offer custom tuning to their customers? Free?

If not - I would go with RWTD - James does tunes for his customers - free. Given the timing issues discussed in prior threads (Blitzu had a informative one going - a must read), I would not use the stock performance tune. The tune needs to be changed to work properly with the GTO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4L60E in my Firebird and there is software to make my car "shift firmer". However it is generally frowned upon because essentially all the software does is up the line pressure which can allegedly lead to damage to the transmission.

If you want firmer shifts I would advise going with a shift kit. And in regards to predator, personally I would stear clear from a generic tune. A custom tune can be adapted to your mods and you always have the option to reverting to your original factory tune.

Just my .02 f-body advice.

- LT1Firebird

·
LSX Motors Rock!
2,684 Posts
If not - I would go with RWTD - James does tunes for his customers - free. Given the timing issues discussed in prior threads (Blitzu had a informative one going - a must read), I would not use the stock performance tune. The tune needs to be changed to work properly with the GTO.
Do you have a link to their website?

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
LT1Firebird said:
I have a 4L60E in my Firebird and there is software to make my car "shift firmer". However it is generally frowned upon because essentially all the software does is up the line pressure which can allegedly lead to damage to the transmission.

If you want firmer shifts I would advise going with a shift kit. And in regards to predator, personally I would stear clear from a generic tune. A custom tune can be adapted to your mods and you always have the option to reverting to your original factory tune.

Just my .02 f-body advice.

- LT1Firebird
You are right you DO NOT want to mess with the firmness, however there is alot to be gained from removing the torque mangement and adjusting the shift points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts