LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been compiling the various problems you've all described with your new GTOs for a couple of weeks, and am wondering about your overall impressions now that you've had your cars for awhile. I started this mainly to have a "checklist" for picking up my new car, but I've got to be honest, there seem to be a lot of problems, especially considering the relatively low numbers of cars that have reached the states so far. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to quality issues, but my two Toyota Solaras have developed exactly one problem in the three years I've owned them - a "Check Engine" light on one of them due to a loose gas cap.

I know, I know, the Solara won't turn a 13 second quarter either, and it certainly won't make you smile the way a GTO does when you start it up, put it in gear, and hit the road. I love the sound and power of a big-bore V-8 as much as (and probably more) than most - that's why I was excited with the new GTO, and also why I have a 6M on order. That said, I don't want a garage queen either - nor do I want to have to drive the 45 mile round trip to my dealer on a regular basis to keep getting things fixed that should, at least in my opinion, have never broken to begin with.

In any case, here's what I've noted to date:

MECHANICAL
1. Thunking (banging) noise in rear on hard acceleration – several instances. Some, but apparently not many, caused by loose chocks in trunk. One instance apparently determined by dealer to be due to parking brake cables contacting rear axles. Fixed by covering parking brake cables with heater hose. Seems that a redesign/rerouting of the cables would be a more appropriate resolution – this “fix” sounds like a duct tape solution.
2. Slight valve lifter noise heard at cold startup
3. Front suspension noises on cornering – have most of these been fixed by removing shipping blocks from front springs, or are others still making noises?

BODY/INTERIOR
1. Cracked rear bumper apparently due to overtorquing - replaced by dealer
2. Back bumper had been replaced due to damage in transit or at production facility – waiting to see if paint was properly matched.
3. Rear passenger window scratched
4. Passenger door seal leak
5. Paint imperfections and chips/scratches
6. Trunk lid will not close unless slammed.
7. “GTO” dashboard emblem fallen off
8. Satin stainless trim material steering wheel spokes wrinkling/delaminating/scratched – many instances
9. Right front fender misaligned
10. Creaking noise from back of drivers seat.
11. Creaking noise from back of driver's side door.
12. Defrosters don’t adequately clear side windows – several instances
13. Washer system fluid freezes up in cold temperatures – fixed by draining/refilling
14. Low beam headlight range seems extremely short. Seem to illuminate only about 20 feet in front of car. Several instances – whether or not this is a problem still seems an open issue.
15. Rattles in doors

ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC:
1. Display screens under speedometer and fuel and temp gauges don’t work properly. Center screen missing bottom half of display. Two outside displays completely inoperative.
2. Driver Information Center bottom half screen display inoperative
3. Fuel gauge and speedometer anomalies (weird behavior).
4. Engine temperature gauge anomalies (ditto the fuel gauge and speedometer).
5. Shift light apparently inoperative – several instances
6. Battery will not accept a full charge.
7. Power door lock failures – two instances
8. Power passenger seat stopped working - stuck all the way forward with the back forward as well
9. Engine light on at 900+ miles for no apparent reason.
10. “Auto Off” lights not working.

I'm still excited about getting my red/black 6M, but the more of these kinds of defects I see, the more concerned I get over the long-term reliability of the car. Finally, to those of you who are already proud owners - don't think I'm knocking the GTO - I still think it's the best thing to hit the streets for a very long time - just being a little cautious before making a relatively big investment. Looking for any thoughts/recommendations you may have...thanks.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
gtofan said:
This is not a problem, this is a selling point. Seriously though...

I have to admit, I am a little bit worried. I will also say that about 1/2 the things on this list would probably not be noticed by the normal person with a normal car - we are picky because we're car people.

·
Registered
524 Posts
gtofan said:
I've been compiling the various problems you've all described with your new GTOs for a couple of weeks, and am wondering about your overall impressions now that you've had your cars for awhile. I started this mainly to have a "checklist" for picking up my new car, but I've got to be honest, there seem to be a lot of problems, especially considering the relatively low numbers of cars that have reached the states so far. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to quality issues, but my two Toyota Solaras have developed exactly one problem in the three years I've owned them - a "Check Engine" light on one of them due to a loose gas cap.

I know, I know, the Solara won't turn a 13 second quarter either, and it certainly won't make you smile the way a GTO does when you start it up, put it in gear, and hit the road. I love the sound and power of a big-bore V-8 as much as (and probably more) than most - that's why I was excited with the new GTO, and also why I have a 6M on order. That said, I don't want a garage queen either - nor do I want to have to drive the 45 mile round trip to my dealer on a regular basis to keep getting things fixed that should, at least in my opinion, have never broken to begin with.

In any case, here's what I've noted to date:

MECHANICAL
1. Thunking (banging) noise in rear on hard acceleration – several instances. Some, but apparently not many, caused by loose chocks in trunk. One instance apparently determined by dealer to be due to parking brake cables contacting rear axles. Fixed by covering parking brake cables with heater hose. Seems that a redesign/rerouting of the cables would be a more appropriate resolution – this “fix” sounds like a duct tape solution.
2. Slight valve lifter noise heard at cold startup
3. Front suspension noises on cornering – have most of these been fixed by removing shipping blocks from front springs, or are others still making noises?

BODY/INTERIOR
1. Cracked rear bumper apparently due to overtorquing - replaced by dealer
2. Back bumper had been replaced due to damage in transit or at production facility – waiting to see if paint was properly matched.
3. Rear passenger window scratched
4. Passenger door seal leak
5. Paint imperfections and chips/scratches
6. Trunk lid will not close unless slammed.
7. “GTO” dashboard emblem fallen off
8. Satin stainless trim material steering wheel spokes wrinkling/delaminating/scratched – many instances
9. Right front fender misaligned
10. Creaking noise from back of drivers seat.
11. Creaking noise from back of driver's side door.
12. Defrosters don’t adequately clear side windows – several instances
13. Washer system fluid freezes up in cold temperatures – fixed by draining/refilling
14. Low beam headlight range seems extremely short. Seem to illuminate only about 20 feet in front of car. Several instances – whether or not this is a problem still seems an open issue.
15. Rattles in doors

ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC:
1. Display screens under speedometer and fuel and temp gauges don’t work properly. Center screen missing bottom half of display. Two outside displays completely inoperative.
2. Driver Information Center bottom half screen display inoperative
3. Fuel gauge and speedometer anomalies (weird behavior).
4. Engine temperature gauge anomalies (ditto the fuel gauge and speedometer).
6. Battery will not accept a full charge.
7. Power door lock failures – two instances
8. Power passenger seat stopped working - stuck all the way forward with the back forward as well
9. Engine light on at 900+ miles for no apparent reason.
10. “Auto Off” lights not working.

I'm still excited about getting my red/black 6M, but the more of these kinds of defects I see, the more concerned I get over the long-term reliability of the car. Finally, to those of you who are already proud owners - don't think I'm knocking the GTO - I still think it's the best thing to hit the streets for a very long time - just being a little cautious before making a relatively big investment. Looking for any thoughts/recommendations you may have...thanks.
I've got 4 days and 300 miles on mine. The low beams are low but I understand readily fixed with adjustment if necessary. I have not made the door and lateral windshield defrost vents blow air but not sure I have hit the right combination on the panel either. This has been mentioned. Other than these I have had no issues yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmm... I'm having some of the second thoughts that you guys are as well, but then when I think about any car that even come close to the GTO as far as performance, comfort, etc, it still is probably the best decision. Remember that no car is perfect, they all have their problems. It does seem like the number of different problems is a bit high (I've owned VW's for awhile and they had their share of problems, but it seems like the number of different problem's were less). But remember that we do have a 3yr/36000 mile warranty so its just making sure that we don't take crap from the dealers and require that they fix the problem correctly instead of patch work. If the problem keeps recurring, just use the lemon law.... Most of these problems tho seem to be intermittent and not widespread. This tells me it isn't as much a design flaw as it is a quality control problem. Design flaws are much worse because usually the car company's will use patchwork to correct the problem unless it is a major safety hazard in which they would recall...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I couldn't agree more mtu.

There is not another vehicle I could get that is so comfortable, has such a good looking interior and does 0 - 60 in less than 5.4 right out of the dealers door.

·
God Bless Texas!
2,284 Posts
The only thing on that list I have in my red/black/m6 is the shift light and I believe they discontinued the use of it. This is the best car I have ever purchased. Not a rattle, squeek, scratch or leak! The paint is like a mirror (Although I did see a silver/black/A4 on a dealer floor with several scratchs. They say from removing the protective covers) I guess its like all manufactures they have their good days and bad. I truly believe Pontiac will make good on all problems. This car is too high profile for them not too!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine has a exhaust drone at a certain RPM going through the gears. And had 54 pounds of air in all of the tires when I picked it up and the outside temp was in the single digits.

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mtu_gto said:
Hmm... I'm having some of the second thoughts that you guys are as well, but then when I think about any car that even come close to the GTO as far as performance, comfort, etc, it still is probably the best decision. Remember that no car is perfect, they all have their problems. It does seem like the number of different problems is a bit high (I've owned VW's for awhile and they had their share of problems, but it seems like the number of different problem's were less). But remember that we do have a 3yr/36000 mile warranty so its just making sure that we don't take crap from the dealers and require that they fix the problem correctly instead of patch work. If the problem keeps recurring, just use the lemon law.... Most of these problems tho seem to be intermittent and not widespread. This tells me it isn't as much a design flaw as it is a quality control problem. Design flaws are much worse because usually the car company's will use patchwork to correct the problem unless it is a major safety hazard in which they would recall...
Thanks for the great comments - I think you're absolutely right on the mark. Given what you get with a GTO, these kinds of problems, so long as they're resolved and don't come back, don't seem to be indicative of any basic problems with the design. I only became apprehensive because they seemed excessive for a car with an apparently good quality history in Australia. Then again, others (see this thread) are reporting absolutely no troubles at atll. I'm still looking forward to eventual delivery of my Red/Black 6M - but I'll using all the good info found on this forum as my own "PDI". Thanks again.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Please, lets not go overboard with compliants about excessive problems occurring with the GTO (not yet anyway). I agree with rschumacherfan1 that we are a picky bunch of people. Examine the list and most of the issues are minor and easy to fix. I pulled the spring spacers and adjusted the headlights myself. Scratches occur to even the most expensive cars during transport. Battery problem is understood and easiley taken care of.

Things to be concerned with:
Thumping noise
Guage and D.I.C. functionality
Power door locks/seats malfunction

These issues could be problematic for all of us and you probably wont catch them during inspection when picking up your long awaited prize. Look forward to that enjoyment you will have.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Juggy said:
You forgot about the winshield washer squirters!
This has been my only problem to date. I absolutely love this car and would highly recommend the 2004 GTO. :D

·
3,327 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
I do have some problems but they are very minor. I think most of us are nitpicking.
I do have one problem with mine: It isnt here yet! :confused: :eek: :mad: Seriously though, This site has been a godsend, since I do know what to look for. I told the dealer today, that I planned on being there when they do the PDI. Everyone is excited though, was even told that they have a kid come in every day wanting to know if it is here yet. Im trying to figure out what kind of road trip I am going to take once it does get here. I want to break her in right. Maybe Florida. Maybe Pennsylvania. Maybe Vegas. Hell, maybe Wyoming. This car is going to be so much fun.

Warren

·
Registered
34 Posts
Warren said:
Im trying to figure out what kind of road trip I am going to take once it does get here. I want to break her in right. Maybe Florida.
Warren
As I said in another thread, you and all you other snow-bound Northerners have an open invitation to bring your GTOs down to sunny South Florida!
Maybe if these dealers down here see a sh*tload of GTO's on the streets they'll stop treating the ones they have like gold and lighten up on the prices.

·
3,327 Posts
:) Ok, one vote for Florida.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
By the way gtofan, it sounds like those are problems you've gathered from various members posts, they aren't actually on your car.

I've examined a few different GTOs in person now, and all of them were flawlessly assembled other than some scrapes from shipping.

If I noted all of those anomolies you listed on one GTO, I sure as Hell wouldn't buy it. I'd look for another.

Don't forget the car has been in production for a few years now in Australia, and judging from the posts on Australian forums, the reliability and quality of the car is quite good.

You have nothing to worry about.

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TriShield said:
By the way gtofan, it sounds like those are problems you've gathered from various members posts, they aren't actually on your car.

I've examined a few different GTOs in person now, and all of them were flawlessly assembled other than some scrapes from shipping.

If I noted all of those anomolies you listed on one GTO, I sure as Hell wouldn't buy it. I'd look for another.

Don't forget the car has been in production for a few years now in Australia, and judging from the posts on Australian forums, the reliability and quality of the car is quite good.

You have nothing to worry about.
Trishield, thanks for the insight, particularly the results of your own examinations - guess I'm a worrywart by nature - in this case, I think I'm just going to relax and enjoy my new car (when it finally gets here). Thanks again.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
gtofan said:
12. Defrosters don?t adequately clear side windows ? several instances
I posted this in another thread but will repeat it here for completeness.

Most cars activate the AC system when the defroster is on. Blowing the incoming air over the AC acts like a dehumidifier, giving you much dryer air that is much more effective at clearing the windows.

The GTO does not do this. It just blows regular outside air.

When your windows fog up, turn the heat to hot and turn on the AC. They will clear very well when you do this.

It talks about this in the manual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts