LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 2 questions at the end of this.... :cool:

I am very curious about Zaino. I have read all the posts concerning it. I have read their web site and FAQ's etc. I am trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. I never heard of Zaino until this forum.

I've always been one to go to any length or expense IF a product is actually the best; I've tried many, many waxes and polishes. I used to order some carnauba formulations which cost about $40 per can. I eventually came to the conclusion that Mothers or any quality carnauba brand was just as good.

I waxed the new goat with carnauba (brand irrelevant, my opinion) several times since May. But now lately I am using Eagle One Nanowax which my son bought, I tried, and it is not a gimmick--it will in fact eliminate the spiderwebs which even a new car will get in a few weeks. I cannot yet say how it will last. Up to this point, my personal results have been that carnauba lasts better than any of the synthetics. And the shine is impeccable. But I am always seeking a better "wet-looking" shine.

If the Zaino is really the ultimate I will bite the bullet, spend the money, and the elbow grease. My hesitation is not so much the expense, but the impression that the application is a ROYAL P.I.T.A. and I don't know if I want to go to THAT much trouble even for the goat.

It seems very complicated. However, with the product(s) in front of me and the instructions, I'm sure I can figure it out unless they are real bad at writing instructions, and make too many assumptions, which sometimes happens. The instructions on their web site are not at all clear to me.

I would like to hear from the Zaino believers (1) What waxes were you previously using? and (2) Is Zaino REALLY that good?? Don't let the fact of spending that much money or time cloud your answer--- but if it is THE thing then I will try it. Not looking forward to doing it, however!!! :eek2:

Thanks!

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
can i answer even if i never used the stuff? i tried the E1 nanowax on my black '98 GTP and when i got done the finish looked better than my new black GTO. that stuff is great. i used mother's carnauba wax on the GTO before. i'm trying the nanowax next.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've only ever used Zaino. I found out about it when I bought my S2000 and followed s2ki.com nearly as closely as I follow ls1gto.com. It's really not that complicated to use, no more so than a regular wax really except that there for the different types. The part that helps you get the best results, and adds a lot of work to the initial application is the wash with dawn, use claybar, rewash steps. These steps are not Zaino specific. They are simply prepping the surface so that it will be as smooth as possible before you apply the polish. Applying the Z2 and/or Z5 is pretty much "wax on / wax off". The ZFX is an accelerator that makes them set more quickly so you can get through the coats without extended waits for drying. I've always been quite pleased with the results I've gotten from Zaino on both my S2000 and now my GTO. The stuff really makes the surface smooth and slick which helps it stay cleaner longer and makes subsequent washing or cleaning much easier. Prior to my S2000, I didn't car enough about my car(s) to do more than occasionally wash them, and he last car I waxed was back in high school in the '70s. I think then it was some sort of paste wax (Turtle Wax, I think). I'm sure you couldn't even find the same formula today. :)

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
All I can say is Zaino lasts and shines longer and better than ANY product I have EVER
used. I've never done the clay bar thing. Never had to. I don't use wax on my cars.
I use Z1, Z2, Z16(tires, dash, won't dry out your dash like Armour ALL which is plain crap). The glass polish is awesome, use it and unless it's a down pour you'll never
need wipers. It goes on easy wipes off easy, unless it's really humid then it takes
a little extra rubbing, but it's no big deal.

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Hands down the best polish on the market. I've used Mother's, Zymol, Maguire's, Griot's, all of which are good, but cannot compare to Zaino. It's very easy to apply, the shine is outragous, it lasts incredibly long; it simply makes the car shine like nothing else. I've used all of their products for several years now on every car I've owned. My brother works with Zaino, so we get all of his products dirt cheap. Very nice connection to have, and a super nice guy to boot.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Never used Zaino. I use a 3 dollar Turtle Wax Swirl and Scratch Remover. If you keep your vehicles garaged and protected from the elements, they will keep their showroom shine for years. You can coat the car with 25 layers of Zaino but if you park them on the street where they are subjected to rain, sun, snow, dust, and pigeon poop, then no amount of wax is going to protect it. I mean microscopically speaking, how thick is a layer of Zaino that is applied over the paint?

·
Registered
523 Posts
IMHO, the claybar definitely helps. I've kept my car very clean and, as I mentioned in my original posting, washed the car twice in a row with dawn (a moderate concentration, then the recommended heavy one). After doing so, I used the claybar. It's wasn't black, but it obviously picked up a lot of crap off a very clean car with 1,700 desert miles on it.

I probably shouldn't have made such a point of the time I spent with the Zaino Brothers last week. I'm 57 and in good physical shape for an old guy, but the the outside temp was about 105 and a "cool" 98 or so in the garage. So, I might have been moving a little slower than the rest of you might.

Tigger's explanation, above, is really good. The Zaino instructions -- there are several pages when you gather them from each product -- tend to overlap, and I found a few minor inconsistencies. Never having used any of their stuff before, I had a hard time telling when they were talking about the ZFX application and when they were talking about the regular application. As Tigger says, ZFX merely speeds up the curing process (from 12 hours or so, to 30 minutes or so). I neglected to let the polish/ZFX mixture sit for 5 minutes to activate, but I don't think it hurt. The ambient temperature might have hustled it along.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Be sure you have 3-4 100% cotton, made-in-USA, white bath towels ready. I used them to dry the car after washing (maybe not essential if you launch immediately into claybar mode), buffing the finish after polishing, and wiping off the spray after each polishing. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for the washing machine and dryer to do their job. I had 2, and the delays probably added some time to my project. I found the "correct" towels at Target.

What a life!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Recently tried Eagle One wax as u dry. Really nice shine for the ten minutes of effort. I doubt its as nice as Zaino, which I have never used due to hand problems. Just make sure the car is in the shade and and wet until you dry it with a chamois. Fast, cheap and easy like I wish _________ were.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you check any of the major car forums (vettes, ours, mercedes, bmw) you will get raving testimonials about Zaino. I never used Zaino prior to the goat. This stuff works and is amazing. And it does hold up to the elements as many of the folks here can attest. Bugs and bird crap come off easier. The prep work with the clay bar is the same, whether you buy the clay bar from them or Mothers or whoever. Any major detail shop will clay bar your car if you take it in to have a major detail done.

Meguiars new TechWax and Eagle One Nanowax are the strongest competitors to Zaino yet. Thats because all three use the same technology, long chain polymers, to give you the shine you want. To get the best results with those, you would also want to do the clay bar treatment.

·
been beat by a Nana lately?
3,874 Posts
Zaino's is all I've ever used on my goat. I love the gloss enhancer spray too. It's great between major wax jobs. The only complaint I have is that the Z5 has not seemed to remove the swirl marks like I hoped it would. I've even emailed Zaino's about it. I've done the entire process....Dawn, claybar, etc and still have the "spiderweb" swirls. It drives me nuts. I'm so anal about this car my neighbors (as well as my 17yr old son) think I'm nuts. Any suggestions for the swirl marks? Other than that, I will continue to use my Zaino's. I love it and have never used anything else that comes near the wet-looking shine.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
lisatw151 said:
Zaino's is all I've ever used on my goat. I love the gloss enhancer spray too. It's great between major wax jobs. The only complaint I have is that the Z5 has not seemed to remove the swirl marks like I hoped it would. I've even emailed Zaino's about it. I've done the entire process....Dawn, claybar, etc and still have the "spiderweb" swirls. It drives me nuts. I'm so anal about this car my neighbors (as well as my 17yr old son) think I'm nuts. Any suggestions for the swirl marks? Other than that, I will continue to use my Zaino's. I love it and have never used anything else that comes near the wet-looking shine.
Black is the hardest color to get the swirl marks out of. Just keep Z-5ing it and it will improve. You may never get them all out but the glare from the shine will blind you so bad, you wont see them anyway!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used cheap Turtle Hardshell on my dark blue commuter-scooter-Neon :zzz: and Zaino on the black GTP just as a comparison. Both cars were garaged. While I haven't tried other top-end products from Mother's or Mequires I sure loved what I saw with Zaino. I lived in Houston a couple years and a week of commuting and a couple afternoon downpours would take the wax right off the Neon. The GTP was out in the same weather but the high gloss lasted several months. It lasts a lot longer "up North". So....my impression is that Zaino is easier to apply, requires very little, and lasts a lot longer than wax products. After four years of use I still have people ask if the GTP is a new car. I have tried Zaino on several different vehicles and only found one on which it didn't work well. It was a late-90's(?) Monte Carlo that had been repainted but I don't think it was clear-coated...or something.

My work order:
-Wash
-Clay-bar (annually or as required)
-Rinse and dry
-z1 (if I barred the car)
-Couple coats of z-2 w/z-6 in between
-Then z-6 after every wash

Dang, that stuff smells good. Do you think it's habit forming?? :)
And yes, have a good stock of good clean white cotton towels so you don't have to wait for the washer/dryer as someone mentioned earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts