LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Zaino'd my YellowJacket this past weekend. To those of you who say it's not a big job, I say you're absolutely right. It's a CAREER! I started it at 5 am Saturday; finished at 8 pm.

Was it worth it? I'll just say, "It - looks - MAHVELOUS."

I bought the Total Protection Show Car Kit (about $85).

Actually, I started the project Friday evening by washing the car with the Dawn liguid hand dishwashing detergent. I didn't notice any instructions about concentration, so I gave the bottle a couple of squeezes and washed the car. Saturday morning, I found the part about adding 2 oz of the stuff to 5 gallons. So, I washed it again. A one-hour set-back.

Then I did the claybar routine. I had some concerns beforehand about rubbing anything on the paint, given comments I've read about its softness. But as long as you keep it wet--spray bottle in one hand, claybar in the other -- no problem.

I washed the car once again with the Zaino car wash.

I did the ZFX "flash" polish treatment -- 3 times, with the detail spray cleaner/wipe between applications. The instructions say not to make more than 3 applications in a 24-hour period.

I polished every painted surface I could reach, plus the parts that I had covered with the 3M film, tail light lenses, underneath portion of the frame rails, the underhood brace connecting the strut posts, and the fuel rail covers. Our cat walked by -- Vet says Fluffy'll be okay after she sheds her fur, and he's not going to report me to the ASPCA, this time. (Just kidding about the feline application.)

The surface feels as smooth as glass. The swirls that were left by the dealership's polish treatment are gone.

My only complaint is with the instructions. They're somewhat confusing and repetitive in parts. There should be a complete set of instructions for the ZFX treatment, from initial surface prep to completion. Instead, I had a hard time telling at one point to go to the ZFX, which I did immediately after the Zaino car washing routine (following the claybar). In other words, all polish applications were with the ZFX additive.

Other than when I washed the car, I did the work in my garage. The temperature in the garage hit 95 deg., but didn't affect the polish application, just the applicator.

Glad it's over ... at least until I throw on another coat.
:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phobos512 said:
Pictures. Pictures pictures pictures... :burnout:
Believe me, I would if I could. I'm technologically inept. Inept, inept, inept -- and don't own a digital camera. As I admitted, I can barely follow low-tech instructions -- and the Internal Revenue Code.

I'll see what I can do.

Ken
:huh:

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I need to see pics as well. I have been unable to get a decent shine on my Yellow Jacket with anything I've tried. I recently switched to MeGuiars's NXT wax and am satisfied with it but it lacks a deep glossy shine I'm used to with my black cars. I just figured Yellow didn't shine.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Yellow shines... it's one big shine ;)

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I call it "ticket me yellow", (a play on "tickle me Elmo"). I really don't think it needs to be any brighter or shinier. (is that a word?)

·
3,327 Posts
The car is Amazing after a full day. It did not take me as long as you said, but I started at 11 am and finished at 5 Pm. I did all the underhood and undertrunk paint as well, but did not do the strut tower brace(my new one needs it though). The claybar is kind of a pain, but I am glad that I did it. I am about ready to apply a few more coats. I am running out of the wash though, think I will go back to the regular car wash, or try some of CAR motorsports car wash and keep the little zaino car wash I have left for future claybar and as a ZFX replacement.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
radkon said:
I need to see pics as well. I have been unable to get a decent shine on my Yellow Jacket with anything I've tried. I recently switched to MeGuiars's NXT wax and am satisfied with it but it lacks a deep glossy shine I'm used to with my black cars. I just figured Yellow didn't shine.
Maybe Warren can help out with the photos. Words like "glossy" and "deep" are very subjective, eye-of-the-beholder type terms, but I can't imagine anything glossier or deeper than what I ended up with. I keep thinking that any morning I'm gonna walk out into the garage and it's all turned black.

Warren, if you're reading," did you apply 3 coats? I did, alternating Z-2/Z-5/Z-2. Oh yeah, I did the undersides of the hood and trunk, too. I'm thinking of doing the rims.

Ken

·
Registered
163 Posts
capra2d... you did the right thing by using ZFX each time. Basically, it's a hardener for the glaze, allowing it to dry enough to remove within an hour. Without ZFX, it takes up to 8 hours to dry in order to remove it. That's where Zaino got it realy bad rep for taking forever. It took an entire weekend to get 3 coats. You should be able to go a good 6 months with just the detail spray after the wash before you need to reapply.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Now that you've finished the hard work of the initial application, you'll find that subsequent car washes are a breeze. And if you decide to add more coats, they go on very quickly and easily.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
04 LS1-MAN said:
Where do you buy that ZFX ?
Google "Zaino Bro" or just "zaino" they have it on their site. I used ZFX on the first two coats. After that I just applied a coat after work and removed it after dinner for a few days in a row. It went ok, but if I was in better shape :p I would use the ZFX and do two coats a night.

Don't forget the Z6 between every coat. That is where the work is but the results are worth the sweat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
two tips... don't bother with Z5.... two to three coats of Z2 with Z6 treatment after each Z2 bufing, then Z6 after each subsequent washing. Dirt is afraid of Zaino and you will find that each time it rains, it's almost as good as washing the car with soap... dirt just falls off. Amazing stuff really.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I don't know abut that Goatee, Even though my finish was new, there were imperfections that the Z5 covered / filled. Have you seen a reduction in swirl marks using only the z2?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
can somone come and zaino my car......I am too lazy to spend 8 hrs waxing.........

·
3,327 Posts
capra2d said:
Warren, if you're reading," did you apply 3 coats? I did, alternating Z-2/Z-5/Z-2. Oh yeah, I did the undersides of the hood and trunk, too. I'm thinking of doing the rims.

Ken
I have not done my rims. The tiny little corners on them scare me! I used the show polish three times, waiting 30 minutes between each coat, like it advised. I think that Z-5 is the swirl polish, and since I did not see any swirls in my paint after rubbing every corner of painted surface, I figured that I would save that for my truck. I did use the spray stuff included in their kit between, I think this is the Z-6 (it smells just like the wash, and that is why I am saving the wash I have left).

Overall, I am very happy with the results, but I need to put on a couple more coats. I still have enough left, but do not have as big of driveway to do it. NEXT week I do plan on doing this though, and you guys will see one very Yellow, Very Shiney Goat. :secret:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
can somone come and zaino my car......I am too lazy to spend 8 hrs waxing.........
I only spent 4 hours the first time.
:drink::drink:

·
3,327 Posts
Tails said:
I only spent 4 hours the first time.
:drink::drink:
2 hours Zano, 2 hours :drink: ??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts