LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all, whats the correct spelling of Zaino? I went to a auto store and asked for it and the guy showed me some stuff in a blue bottle, but it was spelled Zy..something. It smelled like coconut and you apply it just like any other liquid wax. Is this what everyone is talking about? I thought it was that spray on wipe off stuff you use in-between waxings. Plus what is the best claybar, and just how do you use it?

Im sorry for these "stupid" sounding questions, but I was brought up on Blue Corral, Turtle wax etc...You know the old world stuff. And as far as a claybar...well lets just say I never seen or heard of anyone using it. Hmmmmmm, so all these years of waxing my cars and them comming out looking like new, there is a better way? I guess I'm getting to old to keep up with all this stuff, now if I could only find my glasses, wallet, hearing aid and cane (I do use a cane), ill be all set......lol
(only 49, lots of life left...I hope)

ROK

·
Seriously?
1,567 Posts
You did spell Zaino correct, so you're not completely off your rocker yet.... :gr_jest:

Anywho, www.zainobros.com is the website and you can read about all of their products, which from what I have read and seen, are simply incredible. You may want to try typing in Zaino in the search feature above and you can get some more related info about it. As far as claybars, they are really good for removing stubborn spots from the car and I believe help with reducing swirl marks. I have never used one but would like to. I think you also have to be careful about how you use a claybar. I would type claybar in the search section above and seee what you can find.

Hope this helps,
Matt

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
WickedGoat said:
You did spell Zaino correct, so you're not completely off your rocker yet.... :gr_jest:
Anywho, www.zainobros.com is the website and you can read about all of their products, which from what I have read and seen, are simply incredible. Matt
<snip>

Thanks for the info Matt and COOP, I just went to their site and ordered the ZFX and the Z-5 for all my little swirls in the hard to keep clean Black color. It sounds like a lot of work, but from what I read it's well worth it.

Thanks again.
ROK

p.s. And thanks to anyone else that has any suggestions on its use...:)

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Read the tips section at the Zanio site.

Also, quality towels. Not the ones you buy at the auto parts store, but the good ones your wife has hanging in the guest bath. Basically the $15 hand towels, white 100% cotton. Zanio has recommendations on their site too about this. Think PLUSH. Others will come back to this thread and recommend microfiber towels. I personally don't like them for this. I tend to think this is because they didn't try the guest towels ;)

Also... <edit>now</edit> is the time to learn NOT to apply polish in a circular motion... think linear, back and forth motions. Dry your car the same way. This will prevent the swirls.

Start with a Dawn detergent wash (removes all previous waxes).

Then claybar the car. <edit>I can't tell you how much crap this removes from the paint. Mine was clayed one week after delivery, and the contaminants removed was insane.</edit> Zaino sells these too. I'm sure you could use another brand, but I've only used Zaino's so I can't comment on others, except that they have different grades. Someone else should probably comment on which other brands/grades to use.

Also, order some Z2 and Z6... you only need a few coats of the swirl remover polish (Z5). Z6 is polish enhancer and should be used between coats of polish.

Also buy a bottle of distilled water, and mix it half and half with the Z6, it will make it last longer, as a little goes a long way, and it is too easy to use too much. This helped me more than you know.

Speaking of a little going a long way... One to one and one half ounce of polish will do the entire car. If you are using more, you are wasting product.

Also buy the Zanio wash... it preserves the polish wash to wash. Do not take the car through car washes afterwards if you can avoid it, too harsh of chemicals, will undermine your hard work, and beautiful shine.

I wish I would have caught this before you purchased anything... you should have bought one of the kits.

I hope this helps you!

You are going to LOVE the Zanio! :hail: :hail: :hail:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I need to clay bar mine....but kind of leary on how to do it properly. Since I didnt buy it with my Zaino Z2, Z5 & Z6 I will probably use Clay Magic or Meguires.

·
Seriously?
1,567 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
<snip>

Thanks for the info Matt and COOP, I just went to their site and ordered the FMX Acc. and the Z-5 for all my little swirls in the hard to keep clean Black paint. It sounds like a lot of work, but from what I read it's well worth it.

Thanks again.
ROK

No problem..... My only request is to see a pic of the car when done!!

·
2,137 Posts
Coop43 said:
I need to clay bar mine....but kind of leary on how to do it properly. Since I didnt buy it with my Zaino Z2, Z5 & Z6 I will probably use Clay Magic or Meguires.
It's actually quite easy. You need a lubricant, basically soapy water in a spray bottle. Then you just spray and run the claybar over the sprayed area with the clay with a firm even pressure. Should slide over it. Watch out as you run near edges of the car that you don't loose hold of the clay because once dropped on the ground, you will need another bar. Twist and turn the clay keeping it pliable.

When done, was the car in Dawn again.

Simple! :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Huntress said:
It's actually quite easy. You need a lubricant, basically soapy water in a spray bottle. Then you just spray and run the claybar over the sprayed area with the clay with a firm even pressure. Should slide over it.
Quit talking dirty to me :p
Mind showing me the proper hand job......oops I mean motion...you know polishing the goat. LOL

Geeeee...I'm in a mood today.....must be Friday.

JK....but should you go vertical on the sides and from side to side on the horizontal surfaces?
I think Clay Magic comes with its own lubricant.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Up and down on the sides of the vehicle.... front-to-back on the roof, hood, trunk, et. al. For lubricant I just use a capful of the Z-7 wash in a spray bottle of water... works well. My car was so bad, I ended up using BOTH of the clay bars inside the Zaino package.

I highly recommend the Z-7 wash as well. It's way easier to wash the car with Z-7 than any other wash - the way it makes the water sheet off the car, it saves me a huge amount of time in drying the car.

I differ from Huntress on the microfiber issue. I purchased good Cannon and Fieldcrest towels, but found them being "linty", and still making occasional swirls on the car (tried cutting off the edges of the towels - may have been the source of my lint problems). Bought a couple of blue microfiber towels and a microfiber wash mitt from Proper Auto Care, http://www.properautocare.com, and wouldn't switch back to regular towels if they were all free.

As I mentioned in another post, Z-2 your wheels... will help big-time keep the dust off.

I'm happy I'm going to the get-together tomorrow, or otherwise I'd get stuck with having to do the complete dawn wash, clay, Z-7 wash, and 3 x ZFX/Z-2 on the wife's new Envoy... that step on my GTO took me almost 13 hours, I need to get some of those really bright work lamps (like road construction crews have) on either side of my driveway so I can get this done all in one day :)

--Robert

·
2,137 Posts
RobertHammen said:
I need to get some of those really bright work lamps (like road construction crews have) on either side of my driveway so I can get this done all in one day :)

--Robert
That sounds like the perfect solution to the problem of polishing in the sun ;)

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Im a zaino-aholic also. My 95 camaro had 30 coats. The paint was awesome and , deep and wet looking. Go to the car wash and it beads up , the dirt just falls off. Getting started is the hardest withe the dawning and claybarring. But you wil love it. My GtO has 2 coats so far and more to come this weekend.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
<snip>

Thanks for the info Matt and COOP, I just went to their site and ordered the FMX Acc. and the Z-5 for all my little swirls in the hard to keep clean Black paint. It sounds like a lot of work, but from what I read it's well worth it.

Thanks again.
ROK

What prod exactly did you order from them. Z-5 is not to be the last coat if you want the car as shiny as possible. Z-2 is always teh final coat. PLease take everyones advice and read Zainos entire website and feel free to pop back in here and ask questions. I Zaino'd my quicksiler gto 2 weeks after I got it and when I took it abck to pick up my plates my salesman as well as a couple others asked me how the hell I got the paint that shiny. YES it does make that much of a difference. 3 coats of Z-5 followed by 3 coats of Z-2 and you;ll need sunglasses to look at the car in the daylight I promise.
To have the system at its fullest, you will want Z-2 ( top coats...as many as you can stand to put on til you are happy) Z-5 if you ahve a dark colored car ( I have silver so it wasnt needed) Z-6 ( the spray detailer... you WANT to keep this on hand and after using it you'll see why ) and the Z-7 car wash. Every time you wash your car with the Z-7 it adds another boost to the shine.
I have been using Zaino for years and nothing else will ever touch my car. After claying and running through the entire process it even makes it MUCH easier to clean. Bugs and such dont stick nearly as well and the dirt comes off with much less effort. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been using Zaino for years and it really is the best in my opinion especially for black. A couple of tips, I don't use the detail spray (Z-6) on black because I've had problems with it streaking. The best quick spray is to make your own with a 1/2 capful of the Zaino car wash in 16 ounces of distilled water. That combination works really well for clay barring the car as well. I go to a lot of shows with my other car and have sprayed the carwash/water solution on it in the sun and it doesn't streak ever. Every other detailer I've ever used streaks, especially in the sun. If you find that the Z5 doesn't remove all of your swirls, try some 3M swirl remover for dark colored cars. That stuff does a fantastic job on black cars. Once you've got enough Zaino on there, the water just rolls off. You can wash your car, and dry it with a blower without even a towel. Good Luck.. It'll be worth the effort..

·
'MPULSIV'
595 Posts
Been using Zaino for a few years myself on the GP. I can't say enough good things about it.

A couple more tips:

If you are clay barring tear the bar in half and use just one half at a time. That way if you drop it(and we all do at sometime) you still have a half left.

Invest in the ZFX additive. Virtually eliminates the cure time between applications. As was mentioned previously, the only limiting factor as to how many coats you apply is how long your arms last :)

Be sure to apply the quick detailer between coats...this really seems to add to the shine.

This stuff also works very well on the windshield. I've never been a big Rain-X fan but I tried Zaino on the windshield of my GP and hardly ever use the wipers. As a matter of fact I have only had to replace the blades due to dry rot :p I simply use the towel that I remove the Zaino from the car with and wipe down all the glass. The very first time I tried this I actually applied the Zaino straight to the glass. It worked very well but I was unsure if it would make the wipers chatter so I went to the towel only method.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
detaildude said:
Been using Zaino for a few years myself on the GP. I can't say enough good things about it.

A couple more tips:

If you are clay barring tear the bar in half and use just one half at a time. That way if you drop it(and we all do at sometime) you still have a half left.

Invest in the ZFX additive. Virtually eliminates the cure time between applications. As was mentioned previously, the only limiting factor as to how many coats you apply is how long your arms last :)

Be sure to apply the quick detailer between coats...this really seems to add to the shine.

This stuff also works very well on the windshield. I've never been a big Rain-X fan but I tried Zaino on the windshield of my GP and hardly ever use the wipers. As a matter of fact I have only had to replace the blades due to dry rot :p I simply use the towel that I remove the Zaino from the car with and wipe down all the glass. The very first time I tried this I actually applied the Zaino straight to the glass. It worked very well but I was unsure if it would make the wipers chatter so I went to the towel only method.
I too also use it on the glass but i do it directly and the wipers have never chattered. That is when I have to use them. Works much better then rain-ex.

·
Registered
129 Posts
DEFINITELY NEED THE ZFX!!!.. Prior to the release of the ZFX the Zaino would literally take all day to dry, and you would have to wait 12 to 24 hours between coats. Sometimes waxing the car took all week seemed like..

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW!!!!!!!! This is like a commercial for Zaino...lol...After reading all of your posts im going back to the site and getting the Z2 and the claybar in addition to what I already bought. This is going to be a good winter project since the car will be sitting in my garage for several months.

The "Rocket" is going into the body shop this week to get the hood and some other paint problems I had retouched and buffed out. This will give me time to "Popeye" up my arms some more for the treatments the Goat is going to get.:)

Thanks again to everyone who "chimed in" to this post, you people are the greastest!!:hail:

ROK

·
Registered
276 Posts
hey ROK!

not sure if it was mentioned, but before any Zaino goes on, wash with dawn or some other suddsy dish-washing soap to strip all your existing wax-based waxes off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts