LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pssst. hey guys, in an earlier post i'd mentioned that i had clay barred and waxed my black GTO with mother's clay bar system. it came out ok. afterwards i waxed my wife's '98 black GTP with Eagle 1 Nanowax because i'd read that it was really good at taking out spider lines and swirls which all black cars get no matter how carefully you wash them. that car hadn't been waxed in 3 years and was swirl city. when i got done the 6 year old car honestly looked better than my new GTO. after being inspired by Blitzu's wash job today i vowed i was going to wax the GTO tonight but this time with the Nanowax. "WOW" is all i can say. the metalflake jumps out of the paint now. the only way i think i could cature the depth of the shine would be with an 3D IMAX camera. it looks absolutely spectacular. it took only an hour and a half to do the whole car including inside the door frames and trunk. i used 3 microfiber towels to polish it off. if you use zaino (and i know you zealots read this anyways :)) keep with what you like but if you other guys want to try a new technology wax that will knock your socks off give the Eagle 1 Nanowax a try. the first pix shows just the hood polished with the fenders still hazed. it was starting to get dark so it doesn't really show the full effect. i want to get some shots at the beach. maybe tomorrow.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
looks good.
i have the Nanowax but haven't used it on the GTO yet. i bought it awhile back b/c it was free after rebate. i used it on my 97 GTP and i liked it alot.
i have been using NXT on the GTO with good results. but now im gonna have to try the nanowax on the GTO too. next time.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
looks good.
i have the Nanowax but haven't used it on the GTO yet. i bought it awhile back b/c it was free after rebate. i used it on my 97 GTP and i liked it alot.
i have been using NXT on the GTO with good results. but now im gonna have to try the nanowax on the GTO too. next time.
I've been using NXT also. By sure to post the results of using the Nanowax. I'd be interested in hearing a comparison.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've tried the nanowax and found that, while the results were generally good and there was no white residue, it was a pain to remove. For optimal results, it looks like you'll need a fresh microfiber towel for every 3 sq ft of paint. I was thinking about trying NXT, does that come off easier?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
BlueGTO said:
I've tried the nanowax and found that, while the results were generally good and there was no white residue, it was a pain to remove. For optimal results, it looks like you'll need a fresh microfiber towel for every 3 sq ft of paint. I was thinking about trying NXT, does that come off easier?
I'm real happy with NXT but always on the lookout for something new.
Warning: If you use the NXT detailer, which I also like, DO NOT LET IT GET ON PLASTIC, like the front plate holder or the plastic at the base of the windshield. The plastic turns white and I cannot correct the problem :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
541 Posts
BlueGTO said:
Believe me on this===> The E1 nanowax is VERY easy to remove IF PROPERLY APPLIED. Don't put it on too thick. My son did my hood last month, and as soon as the applicator got a little dry/"skippy" he kept adding more wax. BIG MISTAKE. It took me several hours of rubbing to get it off and still were some streaks. I must've used four cloths, couldn't get the streaks off. Had to go through several washings.
HOWEVER-- if you rub slowly and in a straight line like they say, take your time and don't just keep adding wax, it will work right and will come off like a breeze. When the applicator seems to be getting dry, slow down, keep rubbing; don't keep adding more wax, and when you really have to add more, just add a couple small dime-size dabs to the applicator.
Day before yesterday I buffed the whole car and used just ONE SMALL MICROFIBER TOWEL. I usually use several cloths on general principles--don't like to use a soiled one--but just wanted to see if I could do it. USE E1 VERY SPARINGLY. I PROMISE YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
mlc said:
I've been using NXT also. By sure to post the results of using the Nanowax. I'd be interested in hearing a comparison.
ok, will do. probably wont wax again for another couple weeks.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
mlc said:
I'm real happy with NXT but always on the lookout for something new.
Warning: If you use the NXT detailer, which I also like, DO NOT LET IT GET ON PLASTIC, like the front plate holder or the plastic at the base of the windshield. The plastic turns white and I cannot correct the problem :banghead: :banghead:
yes i know what you mean. i have already made this mistake. i believe OG said vinegar should work. but dont quote me on that.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbs: what i can tell you is mainly to repeat what i've said. i used 3 microweave towels and it took an hour and a half to do the whole car. you can see the level of application i used in the hood pix on the fender and nose of the car. it was getting dark and i quick took a pix of the hood while i could. it was as easy as any carnauba wax i've used. i think one of the things that helped was that it was cool outside (70ish), very shady and close to sunset. i couldn't be happier with the result. my wife's GTP job has been over a month and still looks great too. zanio works but this stuff is readily available, relatively inexpensive, IMHO applied easily and seems to last. i did get some on rubber and it just gave it a dull shine. having had black cars before i think the most stunning thing about it is how it made the spider lines disappear. it works as advertised. :hail:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have to laugh. when i reread the title it may seem to infer that zaino users do not read. now that may be because their eyes are crossed from detailing all day but i do think they're smart enought to read :gr_jest:

·
2,432 Posts
svede1212 said:
i have to laugh. when i reread the title it may seem to infer that zaino users do not read. now that may be because their eyes are crossed from detailing all day but i do think they're smart enought to read :gr_jest:
I read it an laughed also. I knew I had to read the thread anyway. I figured it was someone who had just tried NXT for the first time.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Zaino has been the best polish for sometime. It's about time these other companies
started putting out some quality products. I use Zaino, and will continue to do so.
They make so many more products, so it's not just the polish for me. Bottom line is,
if you are using a product that YOU like, that's all that matters. Happly polishing! :)

293 Posts
i agree, i have had EXCELLENT results with the claybar/nanowax combo and i think it is a great alternative to people who aren't quite ready to commit the time and money to zaino

i did my bro's maxima that he bought used and came with some really nasty swirl marks, but just a thin coat of the nanowax and now they are almost completely gone

i think the whole key is proper application. apply it very lightly in a thin even layer. do it inside your garage or in the shade, no direct sunlight, and make sure to give it plenty of time to dry properly. i applied to the whole car, then came back and wiped off the whole car and it gave me no problems. i did the whole maxima (not a small car) with the tiny microfiber towel that came with the nanowax, and there's not a spot of wax residue anywhere on it.

to mlc, i have had that problem with wax on black plastic before. mother's "back to black" plastic polish always did the trick for me. give it a shot

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got some awesome picutures at the beach that i'll post tomorrow. shine on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BlueGTO said:
I tried using the nanowax again and used VERY little this time...It definitely comes off easier!

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm not trying to convert anyone but the nanowax kicks butt. the comparison above wasn't to the nano anyways and i noticed in the photos that you could see the little spider lines that the nano makes go away. i think it's a blessing to black car owners. here's that picture of the beach. it's taken looking into the side of the car :) i'm posting more in the lounge.

·
2,432 Posts
svede1212 said:
i'm not trying to convert anyone but the nanowax kicks butt. the comparison above wasn't to the nano anyways and i noticed in the photos that you could see the little spider lines that the nano makes go away. i think it's a blessing to black car owners. here's that picture of the beach. it's taken looking into the side of the car :) i'm posting more in the lounge.
Let us know what you think in a month or two. I've seen a bunch of waxes that look as good as Zaino when fresh, but I've never seen one that holds up like Zaino.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts