·
Registered
5,214 Posts
get er done man :)

sweet :thumbs:

·
Registered
571 Posts
What is involved? I'm under the impression that the block and intake are the same. So are the heads the only difference or the cam too? Also does the CTS-V have the same rear end as the GTO? Can we get the the 3.73 gear from the CTS-V and swap it with the 3.46 in the GTO?

·
DOG
626 Posts
Heads, Cam and Block are different between the LS6 and the LS1. The Intake is identical. The block differences are negligible but the cams and the heads are very different. Most people though are of the opinion that the money is better spent on another set of heads/cams then on the ones out of the LS6. I'm personally debating the AFR 205's.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
There are very nice cnc ported LS1 and LS6 heads out there. A stock LS6 pair of heads will be 1200 atleast. Stock casting #'s so they are not really aftermarket. The vavletrain is upgraded from the stock LS1/LS6. Going with an aftermarket set of heads and cam would be cheaper and yeild more positive results then a GM LS6 heads and cam package.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
The blocks could possibly be the same since some '01-'02 F-bodies in fact recieved the LS6 block.

I agree though, get an aftermarket set of ported heads and a nice aftermarket cam. If you want it to idle like stock, then go with teh LS6 cam.

·
Registered Cruiser
77 Posts
I would have thought it would have been easier/cheaper to go with the aftermarket H/C rather than factory performance. The ZO6 is pretty sweet but 500fwhp is a sinch with H/C and an edit.

Mick

BTW - diffs are made by BTR in Aus with stock ratios of 3.07, 3.46, 3.73 and 3.91.

Edited with DY's post in mind - see below

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
mrgto said:
The blocks could possibly be the same since some '01-'02 F-bodies in fact recieved the LS6 block.

I agree though, get an aftermarket set of ported heads and a nice aftermarket cam. If you want it to idle like stock, then go with teh LS6 cam.
Not all. There are two factorys that made the blocks. Without having the part number handy, I can't give you the actual number. Do a search under my name in this section and one should pop up with all the info needed for the LS6 block.

I will tell you that if it's a duller sheen to it, it's the LS6 block. If it's shinier, then it's an LS1 block. But not all '02 F-Body's received it.

And as DY said, you can net better results, with cheaper aftermarket setups. Even if I had an LS6, I'd still upgrade the H&C. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
So what is a good head/cam combo that idles like stock and how much power to expect at crank?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Something closer to the stock lobe separation of 116*, moderate lift and moderate duration. No need for a mountain cam as you won't rev the engine into the range that mountain cam needs to make power.

Mine is a simple single pattern .540/.540, 220/220 on 116* lobe centerlines and I degreed it 112* on install. It idles like stock and actually has scared people on the dyno because it idles every bit as well as a stock engine. At about 3,000rpm though it winds up like a beast.

·
Registered
176 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Something closer to the stock lobe separation of 116*, moderate lift and moderate duration. No need for a mountain cam as you won't rev the engine into the range that mountain cam needs to make power.

Mine is a simple single pattern .540/.540, 220/220 on 116* lobe centerlines and I degreed it 112* on install. It idles like stock and actually has scared people on the dyno because it idles every bit as well as a stock engine. At about 3,000rpm though it winds up like a beast.
What brand did you go with then? What did you dyno at?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
GTP. Sorry about that. Craig Gallant is the man to talk to. He did great work on LT1 heads, then when the LS1 came out, he jumped on that right away. Several of the quicker cars in the local F-Body club have GTP stuff.

This is not to take away from some of the other great combos that have popped in the past year or two, but his stuff has been around since '97 and is proven.

·
Registered
176 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
GTP. Sorry about that. Craig Gallant is the man to talk to. He did great work on LT1 heads, then when the LS1 came out, he jumped on that right away. Several of the quicker cars in the local F-Body club have GTP stuff.

This is not to take away from some of the other great combos that have popped in the past year or two, but his stuff has been around since '97 and is proven.
Cool, thanks. So what did your car dyno at? Did you only have heads and cams or more?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
403 rwhp. Heads and cam are the major things, but in order to support the gains from the H&C, there's headers, intake mods, programming with LS1 Edit, etc, etc. My list is in my signature.

·
Registered
176 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
403 rwhp. Heads and cam are the major things, but in order to support the gains from the H&C, there's headers, intake mods, programming with LS1 Edit, etc, etc. My list is in my signature.
So you must be pushin 475-500 hp at the crank then? Very nice indeed... So this is about the limit as far as N/A goes...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I figure 500. That's pushing it with my conservative heads and cam setup by todays standards of aftermarket heads and cams. There are a few "hotter" setups than mine that would still be considered mild that can push it closer to 550. Then when you start getting into the mountain cams you'll see 600+ flywheel hp. From there, you gotta start increasing displacement if you want to make more power N/A.

·
Registered
176 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I figure 500. That's pushing it with my conservative heads and cam setup by todays standards of aftermarket heads and cams. There are a few "hotter" setups than mine that would still be considered mild that can push it closer to 550. Then when you start getting into the mountain cams you'll see 600+ flywheel hp. From there, you gotta start increasing displacement if you want to make more power N/A.
Well 500hp at the crank would be fine by me, that is about as much as I would require. :) This is your camaro we are talkin about right? How much would it cost for the head/cam combination? I figure intake is like $250, headers prolly $500-750. So about $1000 there.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes, the Camaro. Figure you'll top out somewhere around $5 - 7k for all mods including heads and cam. It depends on how aggressive you get with the cam profile and whether or not you take the core charges and keep you stock parts. If you send them your stock heads and cam, they'll not charge you that core fee.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts