LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
The Domino Effect
1,027 Posts
Find a super high mileage GTO for cheap then drop a new motor in it.
That's what I decided to do.

Buy an LS3 Longblock for $6,195 from Scoggin Dickey with the money you saved, beef up the crappy stock suspension and the drivetrain and you'll basically have a new car :dunno:

You're welcome :morncoff:

·
Registered
958 Posts
LS2 for more power, somewhat better brakes, somewhat stronger drivetrain, ability to swap an LS3 top end, and better looking rear bumper (though a dual exit 04 isnt bad either). 04s also have an ugly coolant tank in the engine bay, and i think they lack a dead pedal (well, the raised bump, theres no actual pedal). 06s get illuminated steering wheel controls and a door lock button, while 05s are plug and play for JHP gauges and have the BZJ option (good luck finding one though).

04s get barbados blue though, and pulse red is a tad nicer than torrid red IMO. They also have purple if that interests you.

·
Hottest toaster in the fleet
5,412 Posts
There is a Barbados blue 04 M6 with no spoiler for sale in my neck of the woods right now at Beaverton Toyota. Black leather and blue guages (obviously). Kinda high miles at 105k I think though. Has intake and headers visible on it. Not sure beyond that. Typical rear seat stitching coming out though. They have it listed at 10,995, which is pretty high, but I bet they'd take 9 for it. Damn hard to find bbm...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I picked an 2006 because Spice Red was my favorite color, that was my only deciding factor. And I was looking for one with a factory installed sunroof. Pretty slim pickins but I eventually found one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There is a Barbados blue 04 M6 with no spoiler for sale in my neck of the woods right now at Beaverton Toyota. Black leather and blue guages (obviously). Kinda high miles at 105k I think though. Has intake and headers visible on it. Not sure beyond that. Typical rear seat stitching coming out though. They have it listed at 10,995, which is pretty high, but I bet they'd take 9 for it. Damn hard to find bbm...
There is one listed at a Toyota dealer out west, same price with 84k miles. I love the color when I see it, but can't decide if I want to own it.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

for the price you would pay to get an LS1 04 gto up to par with an LS2 05-06 GTO, your gonna spend that much or more. Any mods you do to the 04 GTO your just bringing it up to the level of a 05-06 exterior/ engine trans/brakes suspension/rear diff. Just pony up to the 05-06 price tag. If you buy an 04 GTO once you start spending the cash for the upgrades your gonna say to your self, I should of bought the 05-06 GTO---Danfigg

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

Oh and the only way I would buy an 04 would be if its an M6 yellow jacket or M6 IBM and I would definately do an 05-06 hood upgrade as well as the 05/06rear with duals---danfigg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Look at the LS2 cars, drive by wire TB, brake upgrade, drivetrain upgrade and greater base HP are factors to consider. Mods to an LS2 car to run mid 12's are really not that much, cam, LT headers, driver mod and a competent tune and your there.

·
I'm taken & she LOVES racing!
2,660 Posts
Ive got a M6 BBM 04. The car with paper plates ran a [email protected] with 20k miles on the clock.

Added a UDP (under drive pulley adds about 10rwhp), gutted the cats (about 10 rwhp), then put on a set of Mickey Thompsons bias plys and MH front runners on a set of space saver GTO wheels. Car ran a best of [email protected] (This exact pass I slowly walked a C5 vette.)

Was running better times than most stock 05/06 GTOs and was neck and neck with a few others. YMMV.

Added a set of pacesetter long tubes ($200 used) a set of pacesetter midpipes ($150) some O2 extensions, then a 75 wet shot and ran a [email protected] Currently the car is jetted for a 100 shot.

Still need to get a dyno tune...lol

I swapped the brakes from 05/06 onto mine for a song and dance. (200 iirc)

That's my journey to where I am speed wise. Car now has 107,000 miles on the clock.

Things the car has eaten:

3 T56 transmissions
4 OEM Driveshafts
1 Pinion Gear in the differential
1 Half Shaft
1 axle stub (broke off IN the diff...easy removal jsut takes time)

Raced a few LS2s directly, only lost once, but it was a farce run. (He missed a gear, I lifted to keep from breaking out of my bracket - and lifted way too long and he ended up edging me out by 0.005 seconds.)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've had an LS2, I'm now more concerned with a clean car, even if it is an 04. If you mod, it's no big deal. I bet a high end head (AFR, TFS, etc), with a custom spec'd cam, and good set of headers LS1, will be right at the power of a cheap set-up LS2. Even with the same set-ups, driver will make more difference then anything.

·
Leading cause of missing 3rd
536 Posts
I picked up my 04 M6 around 62k miles. Interior was pretty much perfect, a few small blemishes on the outside (Hawaii roads are shit, FYI. Road rash. Road rash errywhurr). I love the car to death. I've driven a few buddies' 05/06 goats, and I've driven the hell out of mine. I don't mind having a 5.7 instead if the 6.0, simply because I've already closed the power gap with intake/exhaust/tune. I did what everyone keeps saying. Find the nicest one, regardless of year. They all have their quirks and benefits. Personally, I like the responsiveness of my cable drive throttle body. I can notice a very very slight difference compared to 05/06 TBs.

And remember this... There's always bigger engines, brakes, and whatever you want to put in the car, regardless of year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Bangin Gears
337 Posts
Wait for a cleanest car possible that you can afford, Im glad i did the cars been great to me.

Reactions: zech912

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,375 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts